INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS hardwire question  (Read 3850 times)

Boyotk

• Recent member
NAS hardwire question
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:38:16 pm »

Is it possible to use a NAS device (Synology DS 213) to store/play MC library from via ethernet cable between NAS and computer? I have only wireless internet access...no router. I understand that there are some processing benefits to playing files from an external drive. I am completely new to computer audio, so please forgive if this question is rudimentary.
Thanks in advance,
Boyotk

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: NAS hardwire question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:45 pm »

Yes, but you should minimally place a Switch in between your two devices.  Ethernet cards and drivers aren't very good at performing the same tasks as a switch, so you may experience troubles.

You'd store your media files on the NAS, and configure MC to find the files there.

Welcome to computer audio!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Boyotk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »

Thank you for your reply.
As a complete noobie...how is a switch configured/incorporated?
Thanks,

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:21:25 pm »

Just connect Ethernet cables from each computer to a port on the switch:

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Al ex

Re: AW: Re: NAS hardwire question
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »

Yes, but you should minimally place a Switch in between your two devices.  Ethernet cards and drivers aren't very good at performing the same tasks as a switch, so you may experience troubles.

You'd store your media files on the NAS, and configure MC to find the files there.

Welcome to computer audio!

Would DSP still work in this case? I am thinking of connecting a synology nas to my (wlan) router for general backup purposes, but also for centrally storing my audio.
Would the JMC functionality be the same, as if I had the audio files on my laptop?

csimon

Re: AW: Re: NAS hardwire question
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 03:31:30 pm »

Would DSP still work in this case? I am thinking of connecting a synology nas to my (wlan) router for general backup purposes, but also for centrally storing my audio.
Would the JMC functionality be the same, as if I had the audio files on my laptop?

Yes, MC doesn't care where the files are stored. With your media files on a NAS, you either map a network drive to it so that it looks like a local disk drive with a drive letter (e.g. N:) or access it via a UNC path, i.e. \\YOURNASNAME\SHARENAME, and then configure MC to look in that place when importing files, in Tools/Options/File Locations. For example, my audio path is \\NAS\Media Files\Music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up