INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Begging for this bug-fix/feature-request: [Compression] field with HD audio  (Read 3582 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have to bring this one up again.

Currently, the [Compression] field makes no distinction between DTS and DTS-HD MA (nor any other flavour of DTS, I believe, e.g. DTS-ES and DTS-HD). Nor can [Channels] pick up 7.1 audio as 8 channels if it's DTS-HD MA, and it just puts 6 channels (i.e. 5.1) because those files are recognised as plain DTS anyway.

Dolby TrueHD is shown as 'unknown codec', and that's easy enough to identify, especially since 7.1 tracks are correctly shown as 8 channel.

Yet, when we play any file, the audio path can correctly determine DTS-HD MA and TrueHD tracks, as well as their correct channel number. Please can we somehow get the [compression] field to display the correct data in Standard View?

I've just downloaded some BluRay demo disc compilations such as: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412846/the-ultimate-bass-demo-disc and maybe http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491761/the-best-of-the-demo-discs-demo-disc-bd9-dvd-dl soon.

Since MC cannot play back compilation discs like this properly (it will only play back the longest file/playlist), the individual files need to be imported. That's where it gets annoying. Let's say I now have 40 files and they are a mixture of mostly DTS-HD MA, TrueHD and some DTS. There is no way of correctly tagging the DTS and DTS-HD MA files unless each one is played and the audio path for each is examined. Back in MC17 days, one could at least use the OSD to see the audio track information, but this has been removed from the OSD now unless there are multiple tracks. Tagging is more of a chore in this respect than it used to be, whereas in all other aspects, MC has come a long way in automating tagging. We can't even use auto import rules to tag BluRay audio tracks because of this omission.

Please, can we address this? I know I'm not the only one who listens to HD audio in their video files.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Begging for this bug-fix/feature-request: [Compression] field with HD audio
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:31 am »

Yes... It would be nice not to have to fill these in by hand.
The data is there.
It is the only thing I have to do manually on an Auto Import, fill in "My Audio Format" field.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:25 am »

I have it set for AC3, mp3, and AAC. So that reduces about 50% of the manual entry for TV shows. However, most of my movies are DTS-HD MA or DTS these days, and those do have to be entered manually.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:12:59 am »

as fitbrit points out getting DTS & True HD reported correctly would be great.

This post is old but the issue is wider (though I would need to recheck as I think some have been fixed since then).

Thanks Matt, Then I'm not quite sure why the issues in MC populating the "Compression" Field accurately and completely.  Having a look at all my video files, the summary of issue I'm seeing are:

1) "Unknown Codec": 1:8 files has an "unknown codec" listed against them
- Audio: pcm_s16le (in DV-AVI), pcm_s24le (MKV), pcm_u8 (in Mov) adpcm (in AVI), pcm_bluray (in BDMV), eac3 (in BDMV,m2ts), True-HD (in BDMV, MPLS, MKV), No Audio, vorbis (in MKV)
- Video: VC-1 (in BDMV, MPLS, MKV)

2) Full Audio Spec: MC is only storing the Family (eg DTS) rather than the actual codec (eg DTS-MA etc) which LAV can provide along with bit rate, depth and number of channels if needed.

3) Multiple Streams: The compression field only lists one Video and Audio stream while the container could have many.  With the DLNA streaming, which streams are chosen eg:
  - First Video & Audio Stream (eg like a CE Device Does)
  - First Video & "Best" Audio Stream (eg like LAV Splitter Does"
  - Once of the above + Override by "Playback Info" (eg Like MC Does)
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Video files with TrueHD audio tracks will say 'Dolby TrueHD' in the compression field instead of 'unknown codec'.

The DTS-MA issue is a little trickier.  We're getting the connection type of the most upstream filter, and it's simply DTS (the core).  Maybe when Hendrik gets back from Australia he'll have more ideas on this one.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:26 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Video files with TrueHD audio tracks will say 'Dolby TrueHD' in the compression field instead of 'unknown codec'.

The DTS-MA issue is a little trickier.  We're getting the connection type of the most upstream filter, and it's simply DTS (the core).  Maybe when Hendrik gets back from Australia he'll have more ideas on this one.

Thanks very much, Matt. Hendrik has a week after he gets back, otherwise JRiver will get some Aussie sheep in the mail.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »

otherwise JRiver will get some Aussie sheep in the mail.

Please send them to our Hamburg Germany division.  Hendrik can provide the address ;)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Please send them to our Hamburg Germany division.  Hendrik can provide the address ;)

I see what you did there. You can't pull the wool over my eyes.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Just a little bump in sheep's clothing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I think Hendrik is still on vacation.  I'll put this on his list to look at when he returns.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, Matt. I assumed he'd be back by now. :)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

I think Hendrik is still on vacation.  I'll put this on his list to look at when he returns.

How I wish I could stay away from work leaving my manager echoing those words. ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

He has not collected his Oz Bubbly when down under :(  About this list your keeping for him, can we nominate stuff  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I'm really happy that TrueHD is recognised correctly. However, for all of my Star Trek movies, it still incorrectly reads 6 channels, when they're mostly 7.1. Audio path correctly sees 7.1 though, but the [Channels] field says 6.

bivan

• Recent member

Hello,

How can one edit the 'Compression' field? I have it locked (greyed out) and the wiki says it's not editable. Using MC18.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Hello,

How can one edit the 'Compression' field? I have it locked (greyed out) and the wiki says it's not editable. Using MC18.

That's kind of the point of this thread. This field is filled in automatically by MC using info it gathers about each media file.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Making it tag the proper DTS variant in the compression field is pretty easy, that information is readily available. It would show DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA.
However, getting the correct channel count for DTS-HD MA is tricky, because technically LAV Splitter doesn't know it, because it doesn't understand DTS-HD MA.

The audio path can only figure it out because you use LAV Audio with the ArcSoft dtsdecoder installed, which is simply not used during analysis, but only during decoding, i think.
I'll have a look, and the Compression field should be fixable easily, for the channels ... no promises yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

Would it be possible/easy to update the channels field upon playback?  Since using the arcsoftdll for playback gets us the full channel count when we playback, if the number of channels is higher than the current [Channels] field, could MC just update [Channels] at that time?  Not ideal, but it would work, I think.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Would it be possible/easy to update the channels field upon playback?  Since using the arcsoftdll for playback gets us the full channel count when we playback, if the number of channels is higher than the current [Channels] field, could MC just update [Channels] at that time?  Not ideal, but it would work, I think.

That might be a good idea.

We already get some pieces of information on thumbnailing like dimensions, frame rate, etc.

Hendrik, you could look at CJRVideoAnalyzeHelper::AnalyzeFileDX(...).  If it set channels using m_mapProperties.SetProperty(MF_CHANNELS, ...), I think MC would put it in the library on thumbnailing.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Would it be possible/easy to update the channels field upon playback?  Since using the arcsoftdll for playback gets us the full channel count when we playback, if the number of channels is higher than the current [Channels] field, could MC just update [Channels] at that time?  Not ideal, but it would work, I think.

For me the issue is that I bulk tag my movies, on import, ideally, even before playing them. This might be a workaround as long as it could overwrite the existing field.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Making it tag the proper DTS variant in the compression field is pretty easy, that information is readily available. It would show DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA.
However, getting the correct channel count for DTS-HD MA is tricky, because technically LAV Splitter doesn't know it, because it doesn't understand DTS-HD MA.

The audio path can only figure it out because you use LAV Audio with the ArcSoft dtsdecoder installed, which is simply not used during analysis, but only during decoding, i think.
I'll have a look, and the Compression field should be fixable easily, for the channels ... no promises yet.

Thanks, Hendrik. That makes sense to me, regarding the Arcsoft dtsdecoderdll.dll

I have another proposition if the channels filed can be sorted out. For video files does it make sense to put 5.0, 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 instead of 5, 6, 7, and 8 respectively? Is that information even available by the methods MC uses (or will use after the fix)?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Would it be possible/easy to update the channels field upon playback?  Since using the arcsoftdll for playback gets us the full channel count when we playback, if the number of channels is higher than the current [Channels] field, could MC just update [Channels] at that time?  Not ideal, but it would work, I think.

I like this idea as it would then update with the info from the stream you prefer to play as with BD you can have multiple streams.  So with a music BD it would show either the 2CH Mix or the 5.1 Mix pending what you last played.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up