INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Library field expanding ratings from 5 to 10 stars.  (Read 1506 times)

danrgleason

• Recent member
New Library field expanding ratings from 5 to 10 stars.
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »

I am aware of how to add fields to the database and also that I can have string, numbers, t/f and so on, but can I add a new "Ratings" type column that could have 10 stars instead of 5.

Reason being is that I now have a lot of 2 and 3 star songs in my library (library of 50,000 songs) and there is a lot of granularity I would use if I could define them amongst more stars.

Also, I have very few 5 star songs (like 100) because I want to reserve the 5 stars for greatness, and this leads to about 10,000 songs being flagged with 4 stars although some are almost great, and others are barely 4. I could easily spread my 4 and 5 stars out between the additional stars giving me better smartlist choices.

I realize I could combine the 5 stars with other db fields, but when listening, it is extremely easy to grab mouse and click stars. I don't take time when listening to my music during day to define it. I just rate it.

Anyway, justification was probably not necessary, just thought I would tell the background in case stars are a custom control and not accessible for custom library fields and you have other options to suggest.
Ease of access to set the value is key.

Thanks for a fantastic program.
Dan

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: New Library field expanding ratings from 5 to 10 stars.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »

The 5-Star field type is only capable of 5 stars.  How about two fields?  The Ratings field and a companion 5-star ratings field.  Each of these would be part of your 10-point scale.  One of them would be the upper-half, one the lower-half.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

danrgleason

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:19:00 pm »

That works. I am assuming there is a field type of 5star ratings? If not, what would I do to add it?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »

Create a new user field, set the Data Type to Integer, and the Edit Type to Five Stars.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...

MrC

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »

It occurs to me that some places in the UI can't easily be customized to present both of your 5 Star ratings components.  Also, the keyboard shortcuts:

Shift + Ctrl + 0
   Shift + Ctrl + NumPad0

obviously will not affect the second component.

danrgleason

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »

Worked! Thanks for the reply. This will help a lot.

Not sure if I need a new Post but was wondering if there are plans to integrate music tagging services like what can be done with "Jaikoz"?

I really love what Pandora does, and realize I cannot get to that level of tagging, but I used the trial of Jaikoz to lookup about 30 fields or so of key data and I really like what it does. It would be amazing to have this kind of technology integrated in MC with same ease as Analyze Audio (which in version 19 is da' bomb!, great job there!).

I could see making a number of advanced queries using these genres and sub-genres, etc. to pull together smartlists.

I am a programmer by trade, and hobby, and spare time...and I think MC would absolutely rule the planet if it had pandoraesque features for playlists that did not require user to do much more than click a button.

Any projects underway to do this?

MrC

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:26 pm »

You should probably edit your post, and move the new request to a new request thread.  Be as specific as possible.

I'm just a user like you.  JRiver reads all the posts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up