INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for Mac - What's the difference from the Windows version?  (Read 4772 times)

StephenJK

• Recent member
MC for Mac - What's the difference from the Windows version?
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:21:05 pm »

I have a good reason for asking.  I use Windows exclusively and have no interest in Apple computers.  However, a good friend has a Macbook Pro that I would like to setup for him as a music server.  This would be with a HeadStreamer II+ USB DAC connected to his stereo system.  The goal would be for bit perfect reproduction from 16/14.4 and 24/96 Flac files made from recording LP's.  The issue is that we live on opposite sides of the country and don't get together very often.  

I would like to be able to give my friend detailed instructions on how he can setup MC on his Mac - he's not a computer genius but he's capable of following a step by step guide.  Of course, I can't develop one for him on how to setup libraries and output selection unless the look and feel is more or less as with the Windows version.

If the versions are different, does someone have a setup guide that would do instead?

Any help would be much appreciated.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Re: MC for Mac - What's the difference from the Windows version?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:23:33 pm »

It's pretty much the same.  Why not download TeamViewer and you can setup and he can watch as you do it.  It's free for personal use.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

StephenJK

• Recent member
Teamviewer?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »

I'm not familiar with Teamviewer, but it's not a bad thought.  Mind you, we both do a lot of travelling in different time zones so that may not work.  If the Mac version is "more or less" similar to Windows, then we're good to go.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Teamviewer?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »

I'm not familiar with Teamviewer, but it's not a bad thought.  Mind you, we both do a lot of travelling in different time zones so that may not work.  If the Mac version is "more or less" similar to Windows, then we're good to go.
You'll be fine.  The slight differences are something that you will be able to figure out once you see it.  My thought was that with Team Viewer you could talk to him on the phone while he watches what you're doing on the screen.  I use with my dad.   :)
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

StephenJK

• Recent member
That's the thing - I'll never see it.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

The thought was I would send him the hardware and a setup guide, he would buy the program and configure it himself.  If there was any major issues, my only recourse would be to borrow a Mac from someone, install a trial version and then go through the setup myself.  I don't have a problem doing that, but why create work for no reason.

Thanks for your help.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
Re: That's the thing - I'll never see it.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »

The thought was I would send him the hardware and a setup guide, he would buy the program and configure it himself.  If there was any major issues, my only recourse would be to borrow a Mac from someone, install a trial version and then go through the setup myself.  I don't have a problem doing that, but why create work for no reason.

Thanks for your help.
Even better.  He can download it and then he can come on here to set it up.  We're a nice bunch who like to help.   ;D

My podcast:

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:04:32 am »

Can the Mac version of MC19 upsample PCM to DSD128 on the fly?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:49 am »

Can the Mac version of MC19 upsample PCM to DSD128 on the fly?

Not yet - see this thread for details - they are working on it.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84307.0
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s
Pages: [1]   Go Up