INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library updates it's self  (Read 1226 times)

DGoswell

• Recent member
Library updates it's self
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »

I create wav file versions of albums which I store on a external drive, in folders of the album title.
I import these into Media Centre 17 and update the Album title and artist fields through cut & paste.
This has worked successfully on hundreds of albums until recently.
The last album I imported into Media Centre, I went to paste the album name against the tracks only to find that I appeared to have selected all of my tracks, in the library, and subsequently pasted the album title to all tracks in my library. I don't know how this happened, I assume I miss keyed something.
I then proceeded to open a Library backup file, from 5 days ago, which loaded successfully. However on re starting Media Centre the library started to update it's self adding again the album title to every track.
I have removed the last album from the disc and have gone back to previous versions of the library but without success.
I have scanned the PC for a virus without success and have run various maintenance programmes without finding any issues.
Any ideas where I go next ?

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library updates it's self
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

It sounds like you changed the actual tags on the files.  Library backup wont fix this for you.  Hopefully you have a physical backup of your drive.

There is a setting in Options>Import and Tagging that states, "Change tags when file info changes".  I believe if you unselect this any changes made in MC will not affect the actual tags on the files.  Although if you using MC to retag then you would obviously want this.

If you dont have a drive backup you may be re-tagging all of your album titles.  Hopefully you at least have the album titles in your filename (i dont) so you can use MC to repopulate the tag.

Good luck!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

DGoswell

• Recent member
Re: Library updates it's self
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:37 am »

Thanks Patrick for your response.

I'm not sure that I understand how the Tags work and I assumed that the backup library contains the correct tags, as it shows them when I reload an old library. When I import an album the only info loaded into the tags is the track names, I then add Artist, Album name, Genre etc.The error I've created is only affecting the album name.
Should I consider clearing the library and then loading a backup library.
I only need to correct the album names but when I correct one the library updates and changes the field back to the error.
Do you know where the error field is being kept, maybe I can delete it.

Many Thanks
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up