INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomerun Channel Scan Not Working  (Read 21415 times)

gfraker

• Recent member
HDHomerun Channel Scan Not Working
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:58 pm »

I've just installed MC19 which I would like to potentially use as a PVR however I have not been able to get the channels setup with my HDHomerun Dual tuner (HDHR3).  The tuners show up in the devices, but when scanning for channels, nothing is found. 

After reading through what seems like hundreds of other posts on this topic, I've disabled the firewall, added rules to the firewall, incoming and outgoing, even though they were already there, and gone through reboots, restarts, rescans, etc with no luck. 

I've attached the log file with several attempts to scan the channels.  Everything works fine with the HDHomerun software, quick tv, and Windows Media Center.  I'm only using OTA with an antenna, no cable.  My OS is Vista.  I've updated the HDHomerun software and firmware to the latest version.

I'm not sure what to do next.  Are there other steps I'm missing?
Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDHomerun Channel Scan Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:51:07 pm »

The key is to add Media Center as an allowed app in the MS Windows Firewall
JRiver CEO Elect

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:55:36 am »

I believe I've done that. I added an inbound and outbound rule to allow MC19 (C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19)  I've also tried it with the firewall disabled.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 12:55:20 pm »

HDHomeRun > Setup > Application, make sure Main Application is set to "JRiver Media Center".  If that does not work, set it to "Other: ATSC/QAM"
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

I've tried both settings, still with no results in the channel scan.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

Mmm - I'm not sure what to suggest and mine "just works" once the firewall is setup.  You don't have a second firewall running (eg from a Anti Virus vendor?)

EDIT - I should also say I had it running on Vista just fine as well (but now only have Win7/8 pcs)
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:17:47 pm »

Not sure whether it is relevant but on the principle of "it probably won't hurt", you might try the advice noted here:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15301
2nd post.

If that's no good, navigate to:
  HDHomeRun Setup > Advanced > Support
check "Send diagnostic information to Silicondust support" and raise a help ticket.

I've found that SD isn't quite as fast as the MC crew but they are helpful.

;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:30:06 am »

The only other security I have installed is Microsoft Security Essentials.  No other firewalls that I know of, I've used the advanced firewall settings and disabled all levels of the windows firewall.  Tried repairing the windows components of the HDHomerun software.  I've opened a ticket with SiliconDust.  Maybe I should also note that I've tried other software, BeyondTV and NextPVR that also do not find any channels.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »

Here is the response from Silicondust.

"The logs indicate that the JRiver software is loading the HDHomeRun driver but is never actually telling it to tune anything. Our logs don't give us any information as to the internal workings of JRiver to determine why it isn't trying to tune; you would need to check with them."

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:55 am »

Here is the response from Silicondust.

"The logs indicate that the JRiver software is loading the HDHomeRun driver but is never actually telling it to tune anything. Our logs don't give us any information as to the internal workings of JRiver to determine why it isn't trying to tune; you would need to check with them."

In your case, a call to IScanningTuner::SeekUp() failed.  I will set up my HDHomeRun Dual again and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:18:13 pm »

I hooked up my HDHomerun Dual and tested it.  It works fine.

Here are the steps I took, and I suggest you try them:

1. Run HDHomeRun Setup program.  It should discover your Dual tuners.
2. In the Setup program, make sure settings are correct.
    On "Location" tab, choose "United States" and enter correct zip code.
    On "Application" tab, choose JRiver Media Center for Main Application, and HDHomeRun QuickTV for Preview application.
    On "Tuners" tab, set the two tuners to "Digital Antenna".
    On "Digital Antenna" tab, click Scan.  This should find your local channels.
3. Run Media Center 19.  Scan for channels.  Make sure you select "ATSC" for Type and one of your HDHomeRun tuners for scanning.

Steps 1 and 2 are to make sure the tuners are setup and work correctly in HDHomeRun application.  Step 3 is to use it in MC19.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »

Tried that, same result, no channels found. I've attached the latest log and pasted the television related filter info below.  Is there a common reason why the software would not be telling the HDHomeRun to tune to anything?  I've also been trying to get NextPVR to work with the same issue, the channel scan does not find anything.  I've sent this to Silcondust also and they referred me back to NextPVR for the same reason they referred me back to you.

"The logs indicate that NextPVR is cycling through checking signal levels a few dozen times like it would be doing for a scan, but never actually tells the HDHomeRun to tune anything. We would suggest gathering its logs and posting to the NextPVR forums so that the developers can review it to determine what is happening on its end." 

So basically it sounds like I'm having the same issue with two different software programs, they aren't telling the HDHomeRun to tune anything.  I've disabled the firewall, added inbound and outbound rules for MC19 as well as the NextPVR programs.  I know you probably don't know much about NextPVR programing, but maybe the common problem would be related to something else I could try?

Thanks

KSCATEGORY_BDA_NETWORK_TUNER filters

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-0
    @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-0
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-1
    @device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-1
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

KSCATEGORY_BDA_RECEIVER_COMPONENT filters

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-0
    @device:sw:{FD0A5AF4-B41D-11D2-9C95-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-0
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-1
    @device:sw:{FD0A5AF4-B41D-11D2-9C95-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10325051-1
        Input Pin 'Input0'
        Output Pin 'Output1'

Pinnacle File Capture
    @device:sw:{FD0A5AF4-B41D-11D2-9C95-00C04F7971E0}\{D1110104-CC8F-4579-8EFE-AE2537CA5BF7}

AM_KSCATEGORY_CAPTURE filters

Realtek HD Digital input
    @device:pnp:\\?\hdaudio#func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0888&subsys_103c2a6f&rev_1001#4&9c41ad1&0&0001#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\digitalinputwave
        Output Pin 'Capture'
        Input Pin 'Input1'

KSCATEGORY_ENCODER filters

KSCATEGORY_MULTIPLEXER filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_CROSSBAR filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_TVTUNER filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_TVAUDIO filters

AM_KSCATEGORY_VBICODEC filters

MPEG2 Multiplexer filters

3ivx MPEG-4 Media Muxer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{12C79975-0C8E-46BF-A680-2BAB64E2F4A4}
        Input Pin 'Input 1'
        Output Pin 'Output'

MainConcept MPEG Multiplexer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{2BE4D180-6F2E-4B3A-B0BD-E880917238DC}
        Input Pin 'Input1'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Pixela MPEG2-TS Multiplexer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{4BCC188D-3FFD-46CD-998C-985D4B708DEC}

Pixela mpeg system multiplexer (IMx)
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{5B1D20C7-52B5-46EA-8E5B-C71437B1F500}
        Input Pin 'VIDEO IN'
        Input Pin 'AUDIO IN'
        Output Pin 'OUT PIN'

CyberLink MPEG Muxer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{CF6ED441-FC79-4F1A-9D91-4AE01C570B81}
        Input Pin 'Video In'
        Input Pin 'Audio In'
        Output Pin 'Output'

MainConcept MPEG Multiplexer-Plus
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{CFD28198-115C-4606-BD64-27A7E0051D2A}
        Output Pin 'Out'
        Input Pin 'Input0'

Pinnacle MPEG 2/AVC Multiplexer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{D470E182-A585-4E71-9E36-4D710A8DA9A1}
        Output Pin 'MPEG PS'
        Input Pin 'VideoIn1'
        Input Pin 'AudioIn1'

PDR MPEG-4 Muxer
    @device:sw:{083863F1-70DE-11D0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\{FC7E9538-F01A-4DAA-9B20-9964C50CDCED}
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:11 am »

I see the same error.

IScanningChannel::SeekUp() failed. 

So it is not that MC did not tell the device to tune to a channel, it is that the attempt to do so had failed.

I think there is a problem with your system (DirectShow) or your device driver (HDHomeRun).  Have you tried completely reinstall HDHomeRun software?  You may also try communicating the above fact (SeekUp() failure) to the SiliconDust support and see if they have any other suggestion.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:54 am »

Thank you. 

I did mention the error to Silicondust in my last post, but have not heard back from them.  I did reinstall the HDHomeRun Software, but I did not remove it prior to the install/update.  Should I remove the software and reinstall? 

Also is there a way to repair the system (DirectShow)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:56 am »

Thank you.  

I did mention the error to Silicondust in my last post, but have not heard back from them.  I did reinstall the HDHomeRun Software, but I did not remove it prior to the install/update.  Should I remove the software and reinstall?  

Also is there a way to repair the system (DirectShow)?

It does not hurt trying to do a more complete reinstall, i.e. uninstall first, reboot, then install.

Repairing DirectShow is more tricky.  I would do other things first.  If reinstalling SiliconDust does not help, try run dxdiag from Start > Run.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »

No changes, I ran dxdiag, not sure what to do with that, it doesn't show any problems on the tabs.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 06:19:52 am »

From Silicondust:

SeekUp is intentionally not supported by the HDHomeRun driver. It was designed for use with Windows 98/2000, and was deprecated with the release of XP. Since the HDHomeRun never officially supported anything prior to XP, and no PVR software relies on it, there was no need to ever implement it.

We just set up and configured JRiver on both Windows Vista and Windows 7 PCs using HDHomeRun tuners and ran channel scans, and both went through all channels as expected and found everything that they should have. We captured log data and it too has the SeekUp failed message, but that came after the scan had been completed and all channels found, so it doesn't appear to be actually be a problem. We've attached our logs from a successful scan in Vista, if you want to pass it over to them so they can compare and see if anything looks out of the ordinary in yours. They may be right about a problem with the Microsoft DirectShow system on your PC, and if that's the case, it could be what is causing the problems for NextPVR too.

Their log is attached.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 05:46:34 pm »

This is interesting.  I think what they said about SeekUp is only partly right.  They must be still supporting the call, otherwise it would not work for everyone.  We are actually relying on this function to scan for channels.  So if it works for me, and for them, then they are supporting the function call.  The difference between your log and their log (and mine) is that you got SeekUp failed error right at the beginning of the scan loop, whereas in other cases the error occur after all channels are scanned (so the error simply says "I can not seek up any more because you have scanned all channels").

Here is something you can try to fix your DirectShow (I do not want you to do something drastic that may cause more damage than cure, so I only suggest you work on one file, the one that is related to SeekUp function):

1. Open the "Start" menu and type "Command Prompt" into the search field at the bottom of the Start menu.
2. Right-click the Command Prompt result and select "Run as Administrator." Click "Yes" at the prompt.
3. In the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
    sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\syswow64\msnp.ax
4. In the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msnp.ax

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_12150516_fix-directshow.html#ixzz2hMU7XpjW

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:04:10 am »

1. Open the "Start" menu and type "Command Prompt" into the search field at the bottom of the Start menu.
2. Right-click the Command Prompt result and select "Run as Administrator." Click "Yes" at the prompt.
3. In the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
    sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\syswow64\msnp.ax
4. In the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\msnp.ax

Sorry, haven't had time to mess with this for a while.  I tried your suggestion, and even did everything in the ehow article you referenced.  Still no channels found on the scan.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:51:53 am »

Notice that the eHow article refers to files in the folder C:\Windows\System32\.  Did you try changing that to C:\Windows\syswow64\?

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:19 am »

No I didn't. I'll try that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:20 am »

I don't know if it is a DirectX problem, but if it is, you could visit Microsoft to learn how to update.  I had a problem once on a  new Sony laptop that was fixed by doing this.

I think the most common reason people have trouble with network tuners is the firewall.

Yaobing is the expert at JRiver.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:44:30 am »

Notice that the eHow article refers to files in the folder C:\Windows\System32\.  Did you try changing that to C:\Windows\syswow64\?

I tried that, still nothing.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 08:27:14 am »

Just stating the obvious here, did you install the latest software from SiliconDust?  As Jim said, try Microsoft site for updates and fixes.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:29 am »

Yes, I've previously uninstalled and reinstalled the HDHomerun software.  I've ran microsoft update and everything is up to date except some optional bing garbage.  My DirectX is 11, I tried to reinstall it from a manual download but it didn't do anything.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:45 am »

I wonder if there something in Vista that we do not know.  In any case, if you manually create a channel, would you be able to play?

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 09:57:08 am »

I haven't been able to find the required information to manually add a channel.  Meaning, I'm not sure where to find the correct name and numbers to put in the Edit Channel List/Add Channel box.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 11:09:39 am »

I haven't been able to find the required information to manually add a channel.  Meaning, I'm not sure where to find the correct name and numbers to put in the Edit Channel List/Add Channel box.

Go to SiliconDust.com, Support > Channels

Enter your postal code.

If I remember correctly, you are in the USA.  Select "Digital Antenna" from the drop-down list.  You will get your channels listed similar to the following:

▼Digital Antenna: Flossmoor, IL 60422, USA▼
Type        Channel         Virtual           Name                Resolution       Aspect

8vsb           12-1             2.1         WBBMDT       1920x1080i        16:9

8vsb           29-5             5.1        WMAQDT       1920x1080i        16:9

8vsb           29-6             5.2         WMAQDT2       704x480i            16:9

The "Channel" column (such as 12-1) are Physical Channel and Program Number.  In MC you need "Physical Channel".
The "Virtual" column (such as 2.1) are Major Channel and Minor Channel.  In MC you need both.

Those are the three parameters (plus Name) needed in MC for ATSC channels.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:04 am »

So in your example, if I wanted to add WBBMDT, I would use WBBMDT for the name, 2 for the major channel, 1 for the minor channel, and 12 for the physical channel?  If that is correct, I tried that using my channel with generally the highest signal strength. When I try watching it, I just get a black screen, and when I turn on signal strength its 0%.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:58 am »

So in your example, if I wanted to add WBBMDT, I would use WBBMDT for the name, 2 for the major channel, 1 for the minor channel, and 12 for the physical channel? 

Correct.

If that is correct, I tried that using my channel with generally the highest signal strength. When I try watching it, I just get a black screen, and when I turn on signal strength its 0%.

:(

Please provide a log of trying to play the manually added channel.

gfraker

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:35 am »

Attached is the log.  I tried 3 channels that I manually setup and gave them each a minute or so.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »

Thanks for the log.  It does not tell much.  We create a tune request and give it to the system.  There was no error except that the tuner is not tuned (no signal).  Since we are just playing an existing channel, SeekUp is not involved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up