INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Dirac Room measurements with JRiver  (Read 6233 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Using Dirac Room measurements with JRiver
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:27:59 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with using a room calibration from Dirac Live within JRiver?  I am hoping maybe I can use the files from my Dirac recorded room calibration with JRiver.

Thanks!
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Using Dirac Room measurements with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:01:02 am »

You should be able to set the Dirac Audio Processor as your audio device in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device. This will route all of JRiver's output through Dirac.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:43:08 am »

Using Dirac as my output isn't the problem and sorry if it sounded that way.  What I am asking is, can I apply the room calibration files from Dirac, to JRiver so that I don't have to use Dirac at all.

People say they use Audiolense or something like that and JRiver says you need a program capable of recording the room and then you can apply those calibration settings to JRiver.  I am trying to figure out what file(s) JRiver wants from Dirac to use the room calibration recordings I have.

The reason for this is that I have special speaker mappings in JRiver and Dirac doesn't like it (I have output 4 sub muted, and then mapped to output 7 and 8).  Well Dirac doesn't give a crap, it plays channels in perfect ascending order.  This makes all my output sounds get pushed up one in the chain, so output 5 is now 4, 6 is now 5 etc.

So I am trying to avoid using Dirac if I can get just as good of results without it and only using it's calibration tools to record the room and have JRiver apply the fixes.

Is this possible?
16GB RAM

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:46:07 am »

Here exactly is what is happening and the ticket I put into Dirac:

I am creating a 7 channel filter because I have a 5.2 setup. Dirac is not playing the information out of the correct channels. During my calibration, I SKIP channel 4. But when Dirac processor is used, it plays out the first 7 channels, instead of following my channel output. Here is what I need to accomplish:

1. Left Front
2. Right Front
3. Center
4. NOTHING
5. Left Side
6. Right Side
7. Left Sub
8. Right Sub

Now, when I play this through JRiver it works perfectly. When I do the calibration tool, those are the channels that I calibrate and Dirac allows me to pick them in that order.

The problem is that after I finish the filter and apply it to the processor, the processor decides to play it like this:

1. Left Front
2. Right Front
3. Center
4. Left Side
5. Right Side
6. Left Sub
7. Right Sub
8. NOTHING

And since the cables going into the DAC don't match that order, wrong speakers play the information.
16GB RAM

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Use the Parametric Equalizer in JRiver's DSP Studio and add several "Mix Channels" to change JRiver's output to what Dirac expects. Here is how to move the last four channels up one channel:

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:49 am »

I have Audiolense and it creates a convolution filter that I load in the Convolution DSP. I'm not sure that Dirac creates a convolution filter that will work with other convolution engines besides its own. You would have to ask them.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:03 pm »

I wonder how I would do this since I already have SUB set to mute in JRiver, and then have the Sub outputs being routed to outputs 7 and 8 by JRiver (using the routing like you have above).  Then I have the bass from all the other channels being filtered at 80HZ and below, being sent to outputs 7 & 8 also.

Basically I have a 5.2 setup and so was keeping the subwoofers in stereo, using outputs 7 and 8.  I wonder how much true gain I am getting by using seperate outputs for each sub compared to just putting them both on port 4 and sending all the bass to that output (and sending both signals of the DAC to my subwoofers).  I would lose individual room control of them but I am not sure how much this would really matter.  In essence, going to a true 5.1 or 7.1 versus staying with stereo subs and having custom room correction on each one.

16GB RAM
Pages: [1]   Go Up