INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry for this dumb question but....  (Read 1656 times)

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorry for this dumb question but....
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:53:27 am »

I've gone thru the FAQ's and looked thru all the File/Edit,etc. choices.

I'm running out of disk space so I want play my music thru my external HD so I can delete the music on the computer's HD.

How do I do that?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorry for this dumb question but....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

In Standard View, you can select a number of tracks and right click them. Choose Library Tools, Rename, Move & Copy.

In the dialog that opens you can select how to move your files. If you untick Filename and only use Directories you can use expressions to name your folders. FOr instance, using F:\Music and for Rule [Artist]\[Album], it will move the selection to F:\Music\Artist\Album and leave the filenames intact. Have a look at the presets to get an idea what you can do.

Don't move a lot of files at first. Test it first on a few files.

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:03:45 am »

In Standard View, you can select a number of tracks and right click them. Choose Library Tools, Rename, Move & Copy.

In the dialog that opens you can select how to move your files. If you untick Filename and only use Directories you can use expressions to name your folders. FOr instance, using F:\Music and for Rule [Artist]\[Album], it will move the selection to F:\Music\Artist\Album and leave the filenames intact. Have a look at the presets to get an idea what you can do.

Don't move a lot of files at first. Test it first on a few files.

I'm a bit confused by your answer. All my music files are already on my external HD. I just want JRiver to play them back from the external. Nothing to move.

Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 11:30:48 am »

Select the files, and use the Rename, Move & Copy tool in Update mode.  Use the Find and Replace section to change the drive letter and as much path as you need to so that the new paths shown are correct for the media files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06:33 pm »

I'm not finding any of this.  :-[

I don't know if having JR 17 is the issue. Do I need to have a copy of JR on the external?

If it's just me then... oh well.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 12:16:24 pm »

In MC, select the tracks, right-click, and select Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files...

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »

In MC, select the tracks, right-click, and select Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files...

Ah, I see!  ;D  Thanks, MrC.

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:48:18 pm »

Here's another question.

I have far more files/songs on my external already since I've edited out many songs/albums I wasn't listening to on a regular basis.

By moving the fewer songs from my computer to the external - how do I listen to those edited songs that are already on the external? Do I have to move them back to my computer and do this again?

MrC

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

Stepping back a bit, MC doesn't care where the files are.  It will happily import and handle files across many disks.  So you can Import files from both your computers local disk and the external disk.

When you say "edited songs", do you mean songs in which you've modified tags, such as Album, Artist, etc.?

You don't have to move the songs from one disk to another to listen to them.  Just use Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import and add one or more paths to media locations on the external disk, and allow MC to import the files.  It won't re-import existing files, and will import the new ones not yet imported.  When it is done importing, you'll have fast access to all your media files.

charmerci

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:16 pm »

Okee dokee.

Thanks again.

(Btw - My bad, I actually meant deleted files, not edited. No problem re-editing the few of them if necessary.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up