INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffer sizes  (Read 15260 times)

Glimmer

• Recent member
Buffer sizes
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:11:18 am »

Hey guys

im kinda new to this forum but ive been using media center for a few months now.

I have found that lowing the ASIO buffer of my sound card really improves the sound.
Now i might be wring here so please let me know what you think.

I have increased JRiver's buffer to 500ms (the highest) and reduced my sound cards ASIO buffer to minimum and my streaming buffer size to extra small. This gives me 3ms hardware buffer.

How can I get the lowest buffer size without stutter?

My system is i5, 8gb ram and SSD cache

Glimmer

• Recent member
Re: Buffer sizes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:44:08 pm »

Ok no one replied, Is this the wrong place to post this topic?

I have my USB DAC 5meters away from my computer. Would this cause a problem?

It is attached to a powered USB hub connected to a USB extender.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:32:56 am »

I'm not sure there is a specific answer to your question ... there are too many variables for each system so you just have to test different slider positions. (on both soundcard and jriver) -- totally un- scientifically, it seems to me there is a trade off because you are boosting latency in JRiver which is your direct link to your DAC -- and personally pushing jriver beyond 200ms I "perceive" on my setup has a negative effect on SQ -- as stuttering is not acceptable, you will have to make a compromise - I would start at no more than 300ms for jriver (they recommend 100)

As for your USB DAC you are already at the absolute maximum of USB spec (5 meters) before you can start experiencing packet loss. It seems logical to me that adding extenders and powered hubs would not at all be recommended (for sound quality) but then again I have read otherwise (and I am no expert) ... as long as your connection is in asynchronous mode (otherwise you can have jitter "issues") I am going to meet with some guys that work with Linn next Monday and I can ask them what they think

You might want to google Hydrogen Audio for the USB question -- (they shoot people for posting BS on their forum  ;D)

Is this the wrong place to post this topic?
You might want to split this and re-post your USB question in the Sound Cards, DACs section where people more knowledgeable might see it easier

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:17 am »

Buffer sizes should not affect sound quality -- only reliability and latency.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:21:30 am »

Buffer sizes should not affect sound quality -- only reliability and latency.

And there is a specific answer after all ... Good to know Matt thanks ... the placebo effect strikes again (glad I said perceived!)

Glimmer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:22:29 am »

Hi thanks a lot for your feedback.

My approach has always been to reduce the buffers to their minimum without stutter.
It makes me wonder though, would using the maximum buffers be the way to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up