INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: image orientation  (Read 2880 times)

EasyEd

• Recent member
image orientation
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »

I adjusted the rotation of all my image files from a recent vacation using Windows file explorer.  They all appear correctly in Faststone, Photoshop, etc. as will as in the Windows file explorer.  When I then mport the folder into Media Center (18) they are not rotated.  How do I get MC to display them the same as all the other image programs that I have.
Ed

14AL

• Recent member
Re: image orientation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:46:23 am »

Unfortunately nobody replied to this question, but I'm having sort of the same problem

I have rotated pictures in windows picture viewer to the right orientation. In MC it will again be shown side ways.
In the tags the orientation will say either 90 or 270. When I rotate the image in MC (to the correct orientation) the tag will change to normal. So it maybe double rotates, just guessing.
However it does not happen for all pictures, in some folders the pictures are shown correct.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »

MC supports the orientation field in JPEG.  I'm not sure Windows does this correctly.

14AL

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:50 pm »

Thanks for your reply

Do you mean that windows is not storing the rotation info correctly in some cases?
Would it be possible to apply or ignore the rotation info or correct the rotation via an import rule?

Ron

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:53:26 pm »

I don't know all the details, but I have seen photos displayed incorrectly in Explorer that were displayed correctly in MC.  MC uses the rotation data from the camera.

Castius

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »

Look for images that have a "rotation" value.
Rotation will not affect the thumbnail. But JMC will rotate them.

14AL

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:25:52 am »

I think I understand the cause.
We have a camera which supports auto rotate so my guess is that it stores the orientation in the exif.
When I rotate the picture in windows photo viewer it does not update the exif info. (wpv does not support auto rotation)
So if I import these pictures in MC, MC will rotate the picture based on the exif info and it will be rotated again and end up side ways.

We bought this camera not to long ago and the previous one didn't have this option so that's why not all albums have this issue.

But it still concerns quit a lot of pictures. So if my above assumptions are correct, I would be helped if I could get MC to ignore the rotation info for these pictures (or probably for all pictures in an entire folder).
Does anybody know if this is possible and what a statement would look like to do this. I'm new to MC and not so familiar yet with the programing stuff.

Thanks
Ron

Castius

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:26:43 pm »

Personally i'd un-rotate them. Or if you really want to rotate them. Just look for any images with a rotation value and remove them.

To look for image with rotation tags.
Go to the default image/files view
Right click on the panel "add category to right"
and add rotation.
Then just select the image with rotation values and edit the tags.

14AL

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:31:04 am »

Ok, it took me some time to understand what you meant and how to do it, but I've got it.
I'm now able to select all de photo's with a rotation value and set it 0. This solution is good enough for me, it shouldn't take much time to go through the affected folders.

Thanks for your support.

Ron

Castius

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:55 am »

Glad to hear it.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 03:03:11 am »

I too have this problem but in my case the rotation has not been adjusted as far as I know. All my images are DNG. Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up