INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeezebox users… question about audio analysis in v19  (Read 1372 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Squeezebox users… question about audio analysis in v19
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:57:13 pm »

Hello folks,

Many years ago, I requested that Squeezebox server's replay gain be compatible with J River MC's audio analysis. The Squeezebox developers complied and it has always worked well for me. Now I am reading about changes to audio analysis in version 19, and I'm worried that it won't be compatible with the Squeezebox server. Are there any MC19 and Squeezebox users that can speak to this?
Sue

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Squeezebox users… question about audio analysis in v19
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »

Re-analysis using MC19's new R128 audio analysis will update the tags with compatible tag values (generated from the new R128 analysis vs. the old RG method).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:05:36 am »

Many years ago, I requested that Squeezebox server's replay gain be compatible with J River MC's audio analysis. The Squeezebox developers complied and it has always worked well for me. Now I am reading about changes to audio analysis in version 19, and I'm worried that it won't be compatible with the Squeezebox server. Are there any MC19 and Squeezebox users that can speak to this?

There are two scenarios:

a) MC is serving the audio track via Whitebear to LMS in native audio format (e.g FLAC)
b) MC is serving the audio track via Whitebear to LMS in PCM format

In MC v18, in case a) the file is served "as-is" which means that LMS can read / act upon any replay gain tags therein. And in case b) the file is converted by MC to PCM which means that MC can read / act upon any replay gain tags therein, and LMS will not see any such tags. i.e. in case a) any eventual replay gain adjustment could be done by LMS, whereas in case b) it would be done by MC.

Now, (please correct me if I am wrong), in MC v19, if replay gain adjustment is turned on in MC, then both cases a) and b) will involve transcoding by MC. Now from what MrC says, I understand that in case a) the transcoded file might have a replay gain adjustment applied by MC and also have the same replay gain tag embedded in the output file. So it seems possible that both MC and LMS may be able to apply the same replay gain adjustment in series to the output audio. This potentially giving a double whammy. (However I have not tested this since I don't have the test files to do so...)

BTW this situation would not be unique to Whitebear / LMS. The same argument would apply to any other UPnP renderer that has its own capability to apply replay gain...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:15 pm »

I think what MeSue wondered was whether LMS can - after LMS import - read replay gain tags written to the file tags by the new MC volume leveling feature and MrC answered to that (Yes, LMS can still read the tags written by MC). You, Andrew, are talking about pushing files to LMS via WhiteBear, which is another thing. As to the questions you, Andrew, ask, I do not know. Sorry.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:31:52 am »

I think what MeSue wondered was whether LMS can - after LMS import - read replay gain tags written to the file tags by the new MC volume leveling feature and MrC answered to that (Yes, LMS can still read the tags written by MC). You, Andrew, are talking about pushing files to LMS via WhiteBear, which is another thing.

Ah. Ok.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up