INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple Crossfading in MC 19  (Read 2753 times)

caucud

Simple Crossfading in MC 19
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »

I'm a new user and cannot understand how to set up MC so that when playing mp3 titles on a PC in the audio library they crossfade for a given duration.  By crossfade I mean that the end of the file playing overlaps the beginning of the next tune, DJ-like.  Playback Options - Track Change setting permutations have not gotten me there.  There is either no overlap, depending on the setting, a specified gap between.  I know I'm missing something pretty obvious here.  Perhaps there's a different setting elsewhere that must (also) be made. 

Is there a 'detailed' user manual for MC that lays out the steps in getting an outcome?

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Simple Crossfading in MC 19
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Look in MC options.  Options has a search.  Search for "track change".

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Simple Crossfading in MC 19
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:15 am »

By crossfade I mean that the end of the file playing overlaps the beginning of the next tune, DJ-like.  Playback Options - Track Change setting permutations have not gotten me there.

Crossfade (Aggressive) is what you want. This is the mode that most sounds like how I used to mix on the radio back in the day...where the track playing starts it's fade and the next track comes in at it's full volume. This is different from a standard crossfade where one track fades out and the next fades in...

I have Crossfade (Aggressive) set to 1 or 2 - which seems to work well for my playlists where I want that standard FM mix sound...

This area still needs work tho as Track Change still cannot handle a cold ending correctly. If you have Track Change set the way I have it - and the track playing has a cold sudden stop at it's end - MC sees the end of the playing track approaching and then starts the next (in my case) a second or two before the first track ends - so that type of segue sounds very sloppy and disjointed.

Also - Aggressive can be just that - I notice this most with quiet playlists of tracks that have nice long fades - this method immediately chops those fades off leaving the actual mix sounding like an intern is mixing the program. I also get clicks between tracks quite frequently with this method.

MC does Track Change light years better than most other players - but any given playlist could have any number of crossfade possibilities - being stuck with a single method in MC is a compromise for most playlists.

It would be nice if MC could combine several of it's Track Change methods to better handle the possibilities within a given sent of tracks. This would probably need MC to have the ability to read specific tags within the tracks themselves like Ending Type or similar - it could be "taught" to work it's Track Change magic a bit better.  

I just played around with the various options until I found one that could handle most situations...

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up