INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows different user account same registry settings  (Read 1640 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Windows different user account same registry settings
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:29 am »

My main library is installed on my windows user account but sometimes my girlfriend wishes to login to her user account to surf the internet as she doesn't like using mines mainly because my desktop etc is full of stuff and is messy but I still wish to watch something on J river at the same time.

I've made both windows accounts use the same library by deleting the J River folder out of her appdata folder and using mklink to create a directory junction of the J River folder in my account.

It's working fine, just the settings of the program differ now. I was wondering if there is anyway a directory junction type thing could also work in the registry so I can delete her keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and mklink them to the keys under my registry settings. If not is there any hack that would force MC to acquire its settings from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows different user account same registry settings
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:26 pm »

Sorry, but I don't know any way to do this with the settings.  Different user accounts have different settings.

You could backup your library and restore just the settings on her account to get most things the same.

Also, for the library, you can configure MC to use any path for the library and have any number of libraries.  Doing that might be easier than doing the mklink trick.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

locust

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »

Thanks Matt, looked a little into it, I think I'll just occasionally export the registry settings from my account if I've made major changes, then login to the other and import them.

Also, for the library, you can configure MC to use any path for the library and have any number of libraries.

Was looking for that before I did the mklink, didn't check under add library just found it after you mentioned, kept looking for a way to edit the path of an existing library. Oh well, it's done now.

Thanks for the help

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »

Thanks Matt, looked a little into it, I think I'll just occasionally export the registry settings from my account if I've made major changes, then login to the other and import them.

It might be safer to use MC's library restore feature in settings mode that I mentioned.  It may special case a few settings you wouldn't want to clone as-is.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up