INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP and 4.0 channels  (Read 1186 times)

rlj

• Recent member
DSP and 4.0 channels
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:14:31 pm »

I use only 4 channels: front L/R and rear L/R. My front channels have large woofers and so need no subs, and I run a phantom center channel for movies.

But under DSP, when 4 channel is selected, I cannot mix the center to the L/R speakers and the LFE (subwoofer) is on, so this is effectively 4.1 (not 4.0) with no center mixable to the front L/R.

If I run 5.1, I can turn this into 4.1 by mixing the centers to the L/R speakers, but I cannot mix the LFE to the L/R speakers.

I know that many HiRez classical music recordings do not use LFE or center channels, so can we please get a 4.0 with centers mixed to front L/R, or, a 5.1 that can mix the LFE into the front L/R (as well as keeping the center mixable)? Thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: DSP and 4.0 channels
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:55:30 am »

When you have 4 channels selected, you need to connect to the first 4 channels of your soundcard/DAC. If you connect the rears to channels 5 & 6 it won't work right.

Just like when you choose stereo, 4 channel automatically does a phantom center so the option doesn't need to be available. You do need to have JRSS mixing turned on.

When you have a 5.1 source, the center is mixed to the front L & R, but the LFE is mixed to all both front and surrounds. You can use the Parametric Equalizer DSP to add a high pass filter to the surrounds.

If you want different mixing than what JRSS does, it is also possible by using the Parametric Equalizer DSP and Mix Channels.

Ask if you need more help or want a different configuration.

mikebond

Re: DSP and 4.0 channels
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:58:49 am »

Just like when you choose stereo, 4 channel automatically does a phantom center so the option doesn't need to be available. You do need to have JRSS mixing turned on.

Hello! What does it mean? I'm using RME HDSP AIO with two stereo analog outputs for two way digital crossover. I have selected 4 channel in Output format with JRSS mixing turned on and I've got sound on Left, Right, SL and SR. First two channels I use for mids and HF with HPF selected in DSP and second two channels for LF with LPF. Is it OK or should I turned off JRSS and select "Clone side channels..."?

Regards, Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up