INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Levelling  (Read 748 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume Levelling
« on: October 13, 2013, 04:01:13 am »

Hi

I may be a bit thick here  ?,  I have my setup (laptop with integral sound card) feeding my Cambridge Audio DAC [ASIO]

My understanding was that ASIO by passes all Widows volume and tone controls , equalisers etc. and feeds the output of MC19 directly to the DAC as unaltered as possible.

If so is the DSP Studio doing anything for me will any changes made in DSP be carried through direct to the DAC as well ?

I ask because I like the idea of Volume Levelling you just introduced , but not at the expense of an unaltered signal.

I currently run my Denon amp in Direct mode which feeds the DAC signal unaltered and use a pair of HD800 headphones and I see no discernible difference between FLAC and the source CD (Linn Karik) so much so my CD's are in a box in the attic !!

Will volume levelling cause any degradation ?

Mike

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Levelling
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:16:16 am »

Volume leveling has to process the audio to adjust its volume, but should not degrade audio quality as long as you are outputting at least a 24-bit signal.
You may find it improves audio quality as it can avoid inter-sample clipping with tracks that are mastered very loud.
Pages: [1]   Go Up