INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Channel Off Air" breaks Theatre View Guide navigation  (Read 2303 times)

dorsetjon

• Recent member
"Channel Off Air" breaks Theatre View Guide navigation
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:17:06 pm »

When using the TV programme Guide in Theatre View, if a channel is off air then it is generally not possible to move up/down beyond that channel using keyboard arrow keys. The exact behaviour seems to depend on the "arrangement"  (times and length) of programmes on channels either side of the off air channel, but the selection normally gets "stuck" and you can't skip over the off air channel to the next on air channel. Another channel can be selected using the mouse, but when navigating on the TV I prefer using arrow keys. This issue occurs in 19.0.54 and 19.0.56. Is there a fix for this?

dorsetjon

• Recent member
Re: "Channel Off Air" breaks Theatre View Guide navigation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:32:32 am »

Is there a fix for this? This  is a significant issue because it breaks the Guide in Theatre View. Having looked at this further, it isn't the fact that the channel is off air that is the issue but that it has that status for a long period of time, e.g. 12 hours. So the issue is that the Guide navigation is broken when there is a very long programme in the guide.

I really hope this can be fixed because I am running a trial of MC and not being able to use the Guide in Theatre View is a showstopper.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:20 pm »

I am not able to reproduce this.  Today I found an entry in the EPG that is very long (from 12:00 AM to 5 AM, off air).  I have no problem navigating through it by down or up arrow key.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:32:03 am »

This is 100% reproduceable for me with channels that are off sir for 12 hours each night. What further information can I provide to help you debug this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:24 am »

Does it have to be 12 hours to see the problem?  The test case I used was only 5 hours long.  I can not find a channel that is off air for 12 hours.

Maybe you can provide a log for what it's worth.

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:36 am »

Thanks. How do I get MC to produce a log and where can I find it?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:58:30 am »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52448.0

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, you can email the log to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:01:42 am »

Thanks. I have emailed the log to you but also attached it to this post. Also attached is a screenshot of what I'm seeing. In the screen shot you will see there are two channels currently off air. Both are off air for a further 7.5 hours. There are on air channels either side of the off sir channels. If the highlighted channel is above the off air channel then the down arrow key will take me to the channel immediate above the off air channel but no further. Nothing happens when I press the down arrow key. If I use the mouse to select a channel below the off air channels then using the up arrow brings me to the channel immediately below the off air channel but no further. So in either case it is impossible to use the arrow keys to move the highlight to or beyond the off air channel.

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:36:59 am »

Hi,

Is there any progress on this?

I have now found that this issue seems to be caused when the highlighted program on the channel next to the off air channel has already started. If I navigate one to the right, to a future program, then I can navigate to the off air channel. This issue is 100% reproducible for me.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:32:27 pm »

Hi,

Is there any progress on this?

Unfortunately I still can not reproduce the behavior.  Your log does not provide any clue either.

I have now found that this issue seems to be caused when the highlighted program on the channel next to the off air channel has already started. If I navigate one to the right, to a future program, then I can navigate to the off air channel. This issue is 100% reproducible for me.

I hope this does not mean I have to get up at 2 AM to try reproducing it  ;D

Let me try understanding this better.  You are saying you get a problem if

1. There is an entry in Guide that is very long (off air or just a very long program).  Does it have to be 12 hours or longer?  I can easily find entries that are 4 hours long, but not easy if it must be 12 hours long.
2. Navigation comes down the grid, passing through an entry that is already started (i.e. it is the left most entry in that line) just above the long entry.

Is there anything else?

What skin do you use?

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 05:31:54 am »

Thanks for coming back to me. You shouldn't need to get up at 2am because I have found I can reproduce this issue (and others) by navigating future programmes. Also, the programme length does affect this. I checked navigation with an off-air channel that would be on-air in 5.5 hours and this problem did not occur, so that explains why you can't reproduce this on a 4 hour programme. Having tested this further I also get weird behaviour (behavior if you're in the US!) in other circumstances with long running programmes. Full details below. First, in answer to your specific questions:

1. Yes. What I reported occurs with channels that are off air for 12 hours. I have now tested this with 5.5 hours remaining of the off air programme and the issue didn't occur, but with 10 hours remaining it does.

2. Yes, I can navigate through the grid as normal above and below long running programmes. But I can't get "in to" the long running programme from programmes listed in around the first hour of the long running programme's start (or, I have now discovered, it's end).

3.    I am using MC 19.0.60 on Windows 7 with Obsidian skin and most of MC has been left at default setup. The TV channels are DVB-T in the UK. I have hidden most TV channels to get rid of all the (1) and (2) repetitions and also to hide the many channels I don't watch. I have also entered channel numbers (these weren't populated when the tuning was performed) and edited all channel names to include the channel number as a prefix, e.g. "1 - ", "2 - ", so that the channels display in the correct order.

Here is a full summary of behaviour I am seeing. "LRP" below means "long running programme" and in my tests this is a 12 hour, off air channel. This list includes further issues but also, I think/hope, clues as to what is happening:

1. When above or below a LRP at the start of the Guide, i.e. far left, the navigation (using arrow keys) won't move to the LRP. Either no navigation occurs or the navigation jumps to the top of the screen and "Guide" is lighted in the topmost menu. If you navigate right in the channel adjacent to the LRP, usually to about 1 hour in the future, then the navigation to the LRP will work.

2. When above or below the start of a LRP in the future, attempting to navigate to that LRP will move the selection to the programme immediately before the LRP. If I navigate in the channel adjacent to the LRP to about 1 hour after the LRP's start then the navigation will correctly move to the LRP. Does this explain the behaviour in issue 1? i.e. MC is trying to navigate to a prior programme and in issue 1 it can't (because we are at the start of the guide) so in that case no navigation occurs? Fix issue 2 and issue 1 will also be fixed?

3. If I navigate to the future and select a programme (in the same channel) immediately before or after a LRP and use the right or left keys to navigate forward or back in time to the LRP, then one of two things happens. Either nothing happens, i.e. no navigation, or the navigation jumps to the top of the screen and "Guide" is lighted in the topmost menu. It is impossible to navigate in to the LRP.

4. I tried navigating to a programme 3 hours long. That didn't have the problems described in 1, 2 & 3. However, if I tried to navigate to that programme from a programme on an adjacent channel that started within the final 1.5 hours of the 3 hour programme, then the navigation jumped to the programme after the 3 hour programme. The navigation should have moved to the three hour programme. The same issue occurs with a LRP, and in that case the problem occurred from any programme that started within the last 3 hours of a 12 hour LRP.

5. When I navigate down the list of programmes in the Guide and get to the last entry, the next press of the down arrow key causes navigation to jump back to the second entry in the list and not the first. This happens with all programmes regardless of length.

I hope that helps you fix this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »

Next build:
Fixed: Theater View Guide arrow navigation could get stuck if a row was blank.
Fixed: Revised the rules for Theater View Guide up / down navigation to track more logically in a list with uneven program start times.

I'm not certain this will fix your issue, so testing appreciated once the build is available in a few days.

If it doesn't solve the issue, we'll ask for a library backup so that we can test using the exact same guide data as you.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 04:34:28 pm »

Thanks Matt. I'll look out for the new version and test it when it is released.

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:14 pm »

Hi,

I have upgraded to 19.0.82. But I have also found that this issue is dependent on the screen resolution and the number of rows/columns the guide displays on screen. I hadn't realised that MC was incorrectly using the laptop screen resolution for the TV display rather than what was specified in Options. After a restart the Theatre View resolution unexpectedly changed and now 10 rows are displayed in the Guide rather than 5. At the higher resolution only issue 5 still occurred and after upgrading to 19.0.82 that too is fixed. But at the lower resolutions issues 2 and 3 still occur in 19.0.82; issue 1 is partially fixed in that the Channel Off Air is skipped in the navigation, i.e. the selected channel moves to the one after the Channel Off Air, but at least the navigation works.

Now that MC has started using the correct resolution these issues are largely fixed for me, although there is still an issue in MC where the navigation doesn't always work correctly when fewer rows, e.g. 5, are displayed in the Guide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up