INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining Smartlists?  (Read 1266 times)

merocet2

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Combining Smartlists?
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »

If I have 2 or more smartlists, is there a way of combining them into a super smartlist while maintaining the orders set by the original smartlists?

i.e. I want the contents of smartlist 1 to play first in the order that smartlist 1 dictates and then on to smartlist 2 in the order that smartlist 2 dictates and so on.

The idea behind this is to aggregate my recent podcasts but to always put any fresh episodes of a particular podcast in the top slots of the list. I have the playlists that provide the content in the right order I just want to stack the lists they create. Any ideas?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Combining Smartlists?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:56:00 pm »

Add the two smartlists to a playlist.  Playlists retain order.  Smartlists each have their own order dictated by the sort criteria of the smartlist.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

merocet2

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »

Thanks for the response but unless I'm missing something, adding the contents of the 2 smartlists to a playlist means that I'd have to do that manually every time which defeats the object of using dynamic smartlists.

What I want is a way for this to be automated if possible so that every time I sync my ipod, my new super smartlist has an updated list of podcasts with all the unlistened to episodes of one particular program at the top in date order and then all the other unlistened to podcasts after that in date order. I have two smartlists that create the building blocks of that. I want to be able to combine them without the contents of the two seed smartlists being reordered in any way.

Is that possible?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »

I don't know that this can be done.  A smartlist that includes files from other smartlists is itself just a list of files.  The target smartlist controls the sorting, not the source smartlists.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:58:21 pm »

I have made some custom library fields just for sorting. I guess, when its important, you can make a calculated field that just tells you if an episode is part of the particular program or not, and first sort by that new field, and then date.

when you need help making a calculated field, just give more details, (like the sorting you use in the smartlists)

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up