INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to normalise existing audio files?  (Read 1205 times)

billg

• Recent member
How to normalise existing audio files?
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »

I would like to run a utility to set all albums to the same peak volume.

I have a large library of ripped cds, ripped vinyl and some downloads. Some of the cd and most of the vinyl files have too low volume for my playback method. This is JRiver 18>ethernet>PS Audio DAC >Power amp>speakers (no preamp). As I use ethernet delivery I cant use dsp functions on playback.

I could convert format for the files but have some concerns:
1. will conversion affect the quality?
2. how to determine the best volume level method to use?

My experiments with convert show
1. converted unanalysed files can result in too much gain and clipping
2. analysed files do not normalise to 0db but to a lower volume, I dont get consistency

Any ideas?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to normalise existing audio files?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:55:40 am »

just looked at all the PS audio dacs -- out of curiosity how (and why) are you connecting JRiver via ethernet .. are you using their bridge+ the pwd mk2?

1. will conversion affect the quality?
If you are talking about permanently normalizing the files ... yes it will, especially with files with significant dynamic range and low volumes

2. analysed files do not normalize to 0db but to a lower volume, I dont get consistency
How about try re-calibrating your volume through advanced tools? This might not address the consistency issue, but you should be able to get to  0db

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »

As I use ethernet delivery I cant use dsp functions on playback.

Volume levelling is actually a function that you can use with DLNA, but you have to do real-time conversion. Change the audio mode from Original to Specified Format, choose your desired format, e.g. PCM L16, and under the Advanced options there is a checkbox for Volume Levelling.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post, you want to increase the average volume don't you rather than levelling them?

billg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »

just looked at all the PS audio dacs -- out of curiosity how (and why) are you connecting JRiver via ethernet .. are you using their bridge+ the pwd mk2?
Yes that sounds best IMO.

If you are talking about permanently normalizing the files ... yes it will, especially with files with significant dynamic range and low volumes
How about try re-calibrating your volume through advanced tools? This might not address the consistency issue, but you should be able to get to  0db

billg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »

I want to increase the levels on some of the files thata re way lower than others.
If I can do this without affecting quality it means I dont need a preamp.
Does anyone have detailed understanding of what gain normalisation will do to my files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up