INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose Companion 5 will not work with MC19 but does with all other Media software  (Read 7188 times)

swneily

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!

:'( I have a Bose Companion 5 USB Speaker System.  It works with all media software except MC19.  MC19 displays the following message:

"Playback could not be started on the output "WASAPI" using the format '44.1Khz 16bit 6vh'.  This output format may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format."

It doesn't matter what format use.  I keep getting the same message, the only difference is that the Format listed in the message changes to whatever format I use.

My motherboard has the latest Realtek High Definition Audio which supports 7.1 Surround.

As I said, the Bose speakers work with all of my Multimedia software with the exception of MC19.

I searched the Internet but all of the posts regarding this problem had to do with older versions of Media Center.

I hope you are aware of this issue and have a solution. 

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

In your audio device settings, what, exactly, did  you chose from the drop down box. And what are the other choices listed, please. And what is the default audio device that you configured in windows referred to?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Start with Direct Sound in Options > Audio.  Does that work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swneily

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!

currently I have it set to Bose USB Audio (Direct Sound), which works.  What I am trying to do is get it to work with Bose Audio (WASAPI), which Bose recommends.  With direct sound you loose some functionality that this speaker system was intended for.  My DFX Audio Enhancer also no longer works because it also requires WASAPI when using a USB based sound system.

The choices listed under Audio Device are: Bose USB Audio (WASAPI), Anvsoft Virtual Sound Device (WASAPI), DFX Speakers (WASAPI), Realtek Digital Output (WASAPI), BOSE USB Audio (Kernel Streaming), Bose USB Audio (Direct Sound), DFX Speakers (Direct Sound), Realtek Digital Output (WASAPI), Realtek Digital Output (Direct Sound)

Under Device Settings: Default Channels (current setting), Hardware Direct (sound card chooses), All Channels, and various speaker configurations.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It's a good starting point that Direct Sound works.

WASAPI can be a little more picky about devices.  There are two main things to try to get WASAPI going:

1) Try different buffer sizes in Options > Audio > Output mode settings (both smaller and larger)
2) Check the 'Disable event style' checkbox on the same dialog (some hardware doesn't support event style)

swneily

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!

Lets call it a senior moment, but the only Output Format I can find is in DSP Studio.  I don't see Audio > Output Mode Settings

Under Audio I see Audio Device, Settings, and some other sections that I know are not related to what you suggested I do.

The only section that comes close to what you mentioned is DSP & Output format, but I don't see anything that relates to Event Style.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Lets call it a senior moment, but the only Output Format I can find is in DSP Studio.  I don't see Audio > Output Mode Settings

Sorry for the confusion.

I meant Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device settings...

Start with #1 from my post above.  If no setting gets it working, toggle #2, and then try a few #1 settings again.

Good luck, and please let us know how you fare.

swneily

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!

Well, I won't be able to take advantage of WASAPI, but I did solve the issue with DFX Audio Enhancer.  I also set the Audio Device to DFX Audio Enhancer Direct Sound rather than Bose Direct Sound.  I also set Device Settings to "All Channels."  My BOSE speakers are now able to reproduce 5.1 surround sound.

Thank you for helping.  If anyone figures out how to use WASAPI with Bose Companion 5 speakers please let me know.

StarVector11

• Recent member

*Bump*

Has anyone found a solution for enabling Bose USB Audio [WASAPI] playback for the Bose Companion 5?

I just purchased these and found this issue today :-/

Any suggestions for configuring MC and/or Win8.1 for best output are welcome!

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member

Bump..... How about a solution to MC19 or MC 20 working with Bose 5 Companion speakers and DFX Audio Enhancer 11.306. It doesn't happen with any combinations of your "fixes".

Other media players have no trouble with this at a trifle of the cost.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Maybe another application has it in "exclusive" mode.  Only one application can do that.

WASAPI also has an option for "event style".  Try it both ways.

This is almost certainly a setup problem, not a program error.

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member

How would I tell that the program is in "exclusive" mode?

Where is Wasapi option for "event style?

Thanks

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member

I corrected the problem.. I'm using DFX Audio Enhancer with Wasapi. I was using Bose speakers with Wasapi originally.

I then unchecked exclusive device for access.

Event Style was never checked.

Now the DFX Audio Enhancer  11.306 works as well as the Bose Five Companion speakers.

Thanks for your help Jim.

powersteamguy1791

• Recent member

The above settings for MC19 work for MC20 as well. 8) 8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You could probably also disable the audio enhancer.  It may affect the sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up