INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A milestone  (Read 1636 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
A milestone
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:56 pm »

In this thread:
On AVS Forum, user Mfusick wrote a recommendation for JRiver.  I think your product is beginning to speak for itself and get noticed by even those who don't use it.

[quote name="Mfusick" url="/t/1495174/htpc-for-music-1st-movies-budget-1000-1200#post_23848039"]

http://www.jriver.com/

Personally I like MB3 (eye candy) but JRiver is a good solution that can support Madvr (called red october) and they take extra care in the audio processing (like WASAPI exclusive mode)  WASAPI, the best way to communicate with a DAC on Windows.
Also included is support for all lossless formats of audio (FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM), AIFF and WAV files (including tagging) + JRiver Media Center audio is bit perfect. This means that it can output your CDs, your HD audio (88.1 KHz, 176 KHz, and more), your DSD, and any other audio perfectly to your DAC.  All audio handling inside the program is done with 64 bits of precision. Most high-end hardware uses 24-bit output, meaning the engine has an additional 240 dB of precision above the hardware's output. As a result, should you choose to use them, digital volume, room correction, and other audio functions are pristine.

JRiver's  Red October system completely eliminates the frustration factor from video. The download, installation, and configuration of DirectShow filters is fully automatic. You won't need to set up anything, and the configuration is separate from the normal DirectShow method Microsoft and other players use, so any changes there won't break MC's support  .Red October uses the madVR Renderer and will work on high performance PC's.  (I.E a good system with a GPU)

Adding a GPU card (7790 for $120 is perfect choice) is what you want to do if you want to use the madvr rendering (or JRiver's version called RED OCTOBER)

Setting up MB or XBMC then configuring Madvr and external player-  and figuring out HD audio support and installing codec packs,  then plugins,  etc... it can get confusing.   There is something to be said for JRiver's ease of which it can provide some of the very high end things like sound and picture without all the fuss of messing around.

I actually like messing around;  I am alpha testing MB3 Theater (pre beta version) and having fun.  I clean installed my HTPC last night and set up MB3 classic and Theater on it.   But I am a different breed.   I realize not everyone wants to do it-  or can pull it off.    For this -  JRiver excels.

Since you come from "audio" side of things I would say JRiver is a great option for you.   I don't care for it because I am not that into audio anymore (my hearing sucks now) but if I was into audio I would be more into JRiver.

They had a free trial for a bit.   I would take a cruise around their webpage and familiarize yourself with what it offers and decide if this is a solution you want to pay for.    There is many here on AVS that have paid for JRiver and preach about it's benefits.   It's the total opposite approach from XBMC freeware users on linux.   They don't even want to pay for an OS license,  never mind pay for quality software.    

Everything you want and everything you say makes me think you are a JRiver customer.

Assassin has some good FREE guides you might be interested in:

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/jriveraudiophile/[/quote]

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: A milestone
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »

Thanks for the slight edit, Jim! ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:33 am »

Thanks for quoting the post. 

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:01:44 pm »

I fear the day when my hearing might get bad enough to not enjoy audio anymore.  For the last 30 years (I'm 55 now) I've been protecting my hearing with ear plugs anytime I use loud power equipment.  Before that,,, you know I was young and invincible... I did time in the U.S. Air Force, but fortunately I never worked on the flight line.

I enjoy hearing about how others use MediaCenter.  I only use it for audio.  I watch little video/TV other than NFL (go broncos) and late night stuff when I can't sleep.

I first purchased MediaJukebox 8 in 2002... wow 11 years and I never looked back to my 200 CD changer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up