INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tip - Win8.1 Local Accounts  (Read 4160 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Tip - Win8.1 Local Accounts
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:27:52 am »

For my HTPC I just want a Local Account (not a MS Connected Account) and during the upgrade from 8 to 8.1, MS kindly converted the account on my HTPC to a MS Connected Account.  I then created a Local Account but found you would have to re-configure your apps like MC, to much of a PITA.

Here are some links that I used to restore my HTPC back to a Local Account
- See Point 5 onwards for Win8.1 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html

I also wanted to have this account Auto Sign On without having to enter a password
- http://betanews.com/2013/08/27/automate-login-and-bypass-the-lock-and-start-screens-in-windows-8-1/

Back to "normal" on the HTPC now!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tip - Win8.1 Local Accounts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:25 am »

Thanks for the heads up and the links to solve the issues.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:37:51 am »

No probs - FYI after converting the account I had to remove the PC from the Homegroup then rejoin it to get the permissions to work from the server.

I'm starting get get annoyed that MS is "dumbing" down this stuff.... it's not like we all want I-Stuff! :)
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:12:53 am »

No probs - FYI after converting the account I had to remove the PC from the Homegroup then rejoin it to get the permissions to work from the server.

I'm starting get get annoyed that MS is "dumbing" down this stuff.... it's not like we all want I-Stuff! :)

I hear ya. I'm getting annoyed that vendors use schemes like these to force us onto things like that. Like hiding the local account option; its like its no longer possible to use a local account but you have to cancel the whole thing when it comes up and only then after cancelling it, the local account option becomes available. It's just tricks to make us use the things they want for reasons they aren't honest about.

These things all add to the pile of reasons I would want to get rid of Windows and make me dislike MS more and more. Unfortunately the alternatives have their own pile of quirks and in the end I don't believe we're better off. Except maybe that it makes us feel better.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »

You can avoid ever having this converted in the first place, if you're clever.  There are two ways:

1. During the install process, after the PC reboots, unplug your network cable.  If Windows can't get online when it gets to the "sign into your Microsoft Account" step, it skips it.
2. If you forget, or you just don't want to unplug your network, then there is another way.  When you get to the "sign into your Microsoft Account" page during setup, type a junk (made up, not real) email address and password in the fields.  Click Next.  It will think for a bit, report that there is a problem with your sign-on info, and then it provides the option to skip this step.

Junk they made it this way, but there you go.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:15:02 pm »

It's not just about "dumbing down", it's also about putting the fish in the barrel. Is it a streamlined user experience or a channel from the back pocket for cash?

Thanks for the tips. I think I inadvertently got suckered for one my machines. I'll "clean" it when I get the chance.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »

This reminded me to add, if you want a little bit easier way to activate auto-login mode on Windows 8 (or 7 for that matter), the Sysinternals Suite includes a handy little applet for this which works splendidly.  It works well for domain accounts too, which is useful.

If you don't have the Sysinternals Suite, you should get it anyway, as it includes all sorts of helpful utilities, not the least of which is Process Explorer which I hate working without.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »

On my HTPC's (like the NUC I just tested) I followed your "unplug method" to get a std account (thanks!) and just don't set a password so it boots straight into Win 8.1 then into MC.  Naughty I know!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:34:21 am »

Did you know that no password is not just naughty but a very bad idea security-wise? It really is much more preferred to set a password with auto login enabled. There really is no reason not to, its set and forget but security is a hundred times better. I see no reason why anyone would want no password?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:41:12 am »

..and the difference is?
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 04:34:35 am »

Remotely accessing your machine requires no password in your case. Windows may deny RDP access for accounts with no password but there are plenty of other ways to access stuff on your pc. Basically, gaining access to a machine with no password set is a hundred times easier than when a password is set.

But look at it this way: there is no difference in usability in your case (auto login with a password is the same as without) so there is no reason why you should not set a password.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:27 am »

I'm genuinely interested in if there is a difference between no password and autologin.  There is no port forwarded from the Router to this PC so I don't see how anyone outside my network can see it....or am I missing something. 
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 05:54:24 am »

I think outside attacks aren't much of a concern, really. I think the biggest problem is drive-by viruses and malware, on any of the pc's in your home network (I believe you have kids with pc's too?). Many malware or backdoor viruses will be very happy with pc's on the network that allow unauthenticated access. Do you have friends familiy coming over with their laptops, tablets, etc and allow them access on your wifi?

This does make me wonder, how do you access shares on the network if that user account doesn't have a password? Is that all wide open too?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:34:47 pm »

At present, all PC have Password with the exception of the NUC/HTPC.  All PC's are a member of the Homegroup (to which there is a password, and the Media is then Shared to Read/Write for Homegroup Members and Read for Everyone).  I run two SSID's on my wireless network (one of which is "Guest" and that too has a password).  The two areas that I've thought about and decided to live with are:
- The HTPC's have access to the NW from boot up
- I'm sure others have our main WiFi password
- I'm the most likely thingy to download something "bad"

I back up all PC's every night and Sync my media to a WHS box not easily accessible.

Edit: Double checked, the HTPC does have a Password but Auto-logs in.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:43:44 pm »

By default Windows will not allow users with a blank password to log in over a network.  This has a few impacts:

* Remote Desktop doesn't work at all.
* Run As doesn't work.
* Advanced Sharing doesn't work (meaning you must use only Homegroup file sharing).

To me, the third issue is the big killer.  Homegroups make my head explode.  Sounds like you're doing ok with it, but I hate them with a burning passion.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »

Actually, the first in your list is enough of a reason to go password/autologin as the NUC will be in another part of the house so RDP may be handy.  Oddly I do like Homegroup permissions as they are easy and "mostly" work..... but from time to time I still have to use the "Advanced Security Settings" on the box doing the sharing to do stuff like fix inheritance or add a specific user etc when odd stuff happens (and it does)!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »

...if you want a terrible approach to permission mgt, try WHS!  I'm always fighting with what the WHS GUI is doing VS the underlying OS.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

You can avoid ever having this converted in the first place, if you're clever.  There are two ways:

1. During the install process, after the PC reboots, unplug your network cable.  If Windows can't get online when it gets to the "sign into your Microsoft Account" step, it skips it.
2. If you forget, or you just don't want to unplug your network, then there is another way.  When you get to the "sign into your Microsoft Account" page during setup, type a junk (made up, not real) email address and password in the fields.  Click Next.  It will think for a bit, report that there is a problem with your sign-on info, and then it provides the option to skip this step.

Junk they made it this way, but there you go.

There is another way I found (just did an 8.1 upgrade on another PC) - when promted to setup an account (from I don't have an account) there is a link at the bottom of the form that says - "Use Existing Account".  Just click on that and you keep your local account.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up