INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Radio  (Read 11351 times)

RonJeffries

• Recent member
Internet Radio
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:29:28 am »

I'm sorry to be so ignorant. I'm hoping to get over it. The manual ... well, it's not helping me as much as I'd hoped. Anyway ...

It seems MC can play internet radio stations. Can it play them through the USB/DAC connection that it is playing my local files through? If so, how?

Here's what I've figured out and tried so far, so you can adjust my understanding. The manual refers to selecting Media Library / Web Media in the tree. This heading does not appear in the tree. The closest related idea appears to be Connected Media. It has a list of various web media outlets such as last.fm, Sky.FM, and so on. I was able to add 181.fm to that list.

When you click on one of those items, the display area shows that web page. If there's something to play on that page, and you click it, it plays ... through the computer speakers, not through the USB/DAC.

There is an item My Connected Media. Its heading is Find Your Web Media Audio Files here. There is nothing in it. It looks like it has regular audio file headers, Artist and so on, so does not appear to want to be a radio station but who knows?

The Adding / Saving manual page refers to the "Media Center Master List" and an "All Stations" list. These items do not appear in the Tree, nor is there a menu item anywhere that refers to them.

If there's something I should read, please direct me to it. Otherwise, please tell me how to set up for MC to play, let's say, 181.fm's "The Eagle", through my USB/DAC.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Internet Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:47:34 am »

I think what you want is under File/Open URL.

If you're trying to play from another device, try adding the URL to a playlist.

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »

Yes and no. :)

File / Play URL, given http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8004/, will play that station (181.fm/ the breeze) through my Decco2, via the USB/DAC.

However, when I create a playlist and try to paste that into it, nothing appears to happen, and then MC freezes.
I did it by clicking the new playlist, selecting Edit Playlist in Action Window, and then selecting Paste from Clipboard.

Is there some other way of adding a URL to a playlist? Ahh ... I went to playing now ...selected the link there, Send To / Playlist / The Breeze.

So that works. Is there a better way? And does all that stuff from the manual actually apply any more? Thanks!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:45 am »

Yes and no. :)

File / Play URL, given http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8004/, will play that station (181.fm/ the breeze) through my Decco2, via the USB/DAC.

However, when I create a playlist and try to paste that into it, nothing appears to happen, and then MC freezes.
I did it by clicking the new playlist, selecting Edit Playlist in Action Window, and then selecting Paste from Clipboard.
After selecting Edit Playlist in Action Window, you can drag & drop tracks into the action window in the lower left.  How did you get to "Paste from Clipboard"?  I'd like to reproduce the freeze you were experiencing.
Is there some other way of adding a URL to a playlist? Ahh ... I went to playing now ...selected the link there, Send To / Playlist / The Breeze.

So that works. Is there a better way?
You can drag & drop the track right onto the playlist.

And does all that stuff from the manual actually apply any more? Thanks!
Probably not.  The manual may be out of date, especially for Mac.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:14 am »

Hi John,

In the Action Window, there's a menu puller in its top bar, on the left, with some horizontal bars if I recall. I clicked that, and then one of the options is to paste URL or image. I'm not at home now but if you can't find it, let me know and I'll send a picture when I get home.

I //believe// I had a URL on the clipboard when I did the paste. It is //possible// that there was nothing, or something odd. The beach ball didn't appear every time, but did appear about three out of five attempts.

Thanks for the other tips, I'll try them!

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:49 am »

Hello to all.
Windows, with MC 18 here, client to a library server.
I'm trying to include some internet radio stations in a playlist named "Radio Stations".
How I do that: Using File > Open URL, I "play" the station.
Then, going into Playlists > Recently played, I find the entry "Player" and then "send to" Playlist "Radio Stations".
The problem is that, when I click on this entry in "Radio Stations", the station plays but, it opens in a browser window (IE or Chrome).
The link to this station is http://live24.gr/radio/kissfm.jsp
I would like to be able to listen to this (and other stations), inside the MC. Is it a file association problem and how I resolve this?
Any ideas?

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »

I gave up on this ages ago and now just use a browser window. Trying to manage radio stations within MC is more trouble than its worth. Just my opinion.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »

I think I was able to make some progress on this.
The link I have posted above, is for a Radio station in Greece, named "Kiss FM 92.9"
The link itself, is a web-browser link. With this, you open a webpage in the browser, you can hear the music but also, various commercial ads are displayed. That way, a browser window opens.
I have found "vTuner", a service to provide music only, without displaying any commercials.
Have a look here http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp
I have searched for "Kiss 92.9" and ended up to download a m3u file (attached). This file opens inside MC and plays just fine.
Just compare the link in my previous message with the File > Open Media File in MC. The music is the same but in the latter, the file plays inside MC.
Just rename the file from "txt" to "m3u", in order to be meaningful for MC.

RickS

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:06:12 pm »

Thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm!

Yahooboy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »

Having just upgraded from MC18 (mac)
I was just trying to play my usual radio stations. However with MC19 i get a streaming error not so with MC18

Any ideas as what is going wrong (playing local files gives no problems what so ever :) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up