INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawbacks to ripping to wave files  (Read 1602 times)

Hollingshead

• Recent member
Drawbacks to ripping to wave files
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »

Hi, with storage prices so low, I'm considering switching from ripping to WMA lossless to ripping everything to WAVE, but I'm concerned about losing tag info. Particularly, I like it that the CD's I burn for my car from JRiver display the track info on my car's screen. Regular CD's don't do that. If I ripped to WAVE and then burned to a CD, would I lose that info?

Thanks,
Kevin

larryrup

• World Citizen
Re: Drawbacks to ripping to wave files
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:38:13 pm »

Kevin:  I struggled with a somewhat opposite issue.  I had about 2/3's of my music in WAV and had lots of tagging issues.  While JRiver looked well tagged and clean, I tried importing to ITUNES and most songs had no meta data!.  I also seemed to loose certain pieces of meta data over time in JRiver.  I bit the other bullet and converted every thing to FLAC.  I was resistent to this, but I save several hundred gig of space and it seems any meta data issues in JRiver no longer exist.  I have not tried a ITUNES import as JRiver has been doing a great job syncing to my Galaxy S3.  Car shows song, album and artist.  I do want to go back to my IPOD classic for use in the car, and I hope the IPOD will pick up the meta data when I convert down to 320 MP3's from JRiver.  From what I understand WAV does not support meta data well at all.

Regards,

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

kristian

• Recent member
Re: Drawbacks to ripping to wave files
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:43 pm »

Hi,
There is no reason to use wav files, ever, over e.g. FLAC. Only drawbacks, like using 55% more space. Please research this, kill yourself an audiophile myth, and be on the path to audio wellness.
Best,
Kristian
Pages: [1]   Go Up