INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord QuteHD & MC 19  (Read 6243 times)

hlesser

• Recent member
Chord QuteHD & MC 19
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »

It was remarkably easy to configure for playback of DSD 64 files, and they sound great.  Two minor issues remain:
(1) All files, regardless of type, are sent to the Chord in DSD format instead of their native format - can I have MC19 play everything natively instead?

(2) Soft click heard when manually skipping a track (but not when one track ends and another starts).  Any solutions?  Is this related to playing everything back in DSD?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Chord QuteHD & MC 19
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:05 pm »

Welcome.

For #1, you probably want to enable DSD bitstreaming in Options > Audio, and not real-time encoding of everything to DSD in DSP Studio > Output Format.

Instructions here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »

Hi,

I'm waiting for my QuteHD to arrive - what do you think of it so far?

Do you use USB to drive it?

Cheers.

hlesser

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:45:17 am »

Matt,
Enabling DSD bitstreaming eliminates the ability to control volume from JRemote -- I don't want to give that up!  I'm not sure there's an alternate workaround, but it seems like there should be.
Any ideas on the clicking?

Spiggytopes,
I'm extremely pleased with the QuteHD.  Redbook fed from my Sonos Connect (optical or SPDIF) is amazing.  Every step up the hi-rez ladder is worth it, but Redbook is no slouch!  I've tried some 44.1/24 bit material as well as 192/24 and DSD and they are fabulous.  Aside from the slight click on manual track switching on DSD I've not had one single glitch.  It took less than 5 minutes to configure JRiver.  I'm currently playing from a Win 7 Professional laptop via USB without doing any tweaking of the OS.  Running the Sonos Connect wireless from a NAS is also flawless for Redbook playback.

I'm confident you'll be pleased with the Chord.  BTW, I will likely spring for the QuteEX upgrade that permits playing both DSD 128 & 384kHz PCM.  That ought to future-proof this device for many years to come.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:34 am »

Matt,
Enabling DSD bitstreaming eliminates the ability to control volume from JRemote -- I don't want to give that up!  I'm not sure there's an alternate workaround, but it seems like there should be.
Any ideas on the clicking?

That's the nature of bitstreaming -- it disables the ability of the program to do any sort of audio processing, including volume.  We're delivering bits "as is" and can't change them.

If you like volume, or any other audio feature, my advice is to play DSD as high sample rate PCM.  Set DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample rate to 176400 for sample rates over 192,000Hz and turn off bitstreaming.  MC does an exceptional job of converting DSD to high sample rate PCM.

You could also play everything as DSD, like you were doing originally.

I don't believe there's any magic in the final transport method to the DAC, so I'd be happy using either.  They both offer far more than fidelity than any other part of the audio chain (the master, the speakers, our ears, etc.).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:12:50 am »

Excuse the ignorance - the QuteEX upgrade is firmware?

Glad you like it - I can't wait!

I'll try USB first ....

I'm extremely pleased with the QuteHD.  Redbook fed from my Sonos Connect (optical or SPDIF) is amazing.  Every step up the hi-rez ladder is worth it, but Redbook is no slouch!  I've tried some 44.1/24 bit material as well as 192/24 and DSD and they are fabulous.  Aside from the slight click on manual track switching on DSD I've not had one single glitch.  It took less than 5 minutes to configure JRiver.  I'm currently playing from a Win 7 Professional laptop via USB without doing any tweaking of the OS.  Running the Sonos Connect wireless from a NAS is also flawless for Redbook playback.

I'm confident you'll be pleased with the Chord.  BTW, I will likely spring for the QuteEX upgrade that permits playing both DSD 128 & 384kHz PCM.  That ought to future-proof this device for many years to come.

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:10:24 am »

Just checked the Chord website ---- it's a new model ........ typical, just announced immediately after I ordered the old one!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:52:41 am »

You  might get rid of soft-click by upping the ASIO or WASAPI buffer to 100ms. I think that worked for my Vega but still have to check again tonight.

It was remarkably easy to configure for playback of DSD 64 files, and they sound great.  Two minor issues remain:
(1) All files, regardless of type, are sent to the Chord in DSD format instead of their native format - can I have MC19 play everything natively instead?

(2) Soft click heard when manually skipping a track (but not when one track ends and another starts).  Any solutions?  Is this related to playing everything back in DSD?

Pages: [1]   Go Up