INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't uninstall MC18 after installing MC19  (Read 4800 times)

stubbo

• Recent member
Can't uninstall MC18 after installing MC19
« on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:55 am »

I've recently installed MC19 and as always I clean up by uninstalling MC18, except it won't.

I am running windows 8.1 (although I also have the same problem on a Windows 7 machine) and if I click on uninstall I just get the message that  there was a problem starting d:\temp\JRMediaUninstall.dll a dynamic link library (DLL) initialisation routing failed.

I reinstalled MC18 to see if it would repair any error and the uninstall again, but still get the same message.

Is there a manual way to perform an uninstall, or a repair for this process?

cinjin

• Recent member
Re: Can't uninstall MC18 after installing MC19
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »

I just had the same problem. I have MC18 and MC19 installed on Win 8.1 x64 and decided that MC19 was stable enough. I first  tried to uninstall through windows programs and got a compatibility problem. Then tried through MC18 uninstall and had the same problem. Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

Install the most recent version of MC18.  Then you should be able to uninstall.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:04:39 pm »

Install the most recent version of MC18.  Then you should be able to uninstall.

Remember to backup your MC19 library first!

EDIT:  My apologies for my expressed verbiage (which you appropriately remove), but considering what happened to my MC19 library I'm sure you can understand my anger.  In any case, just so that it shouldn't happen to the next guy, let me explain what happened ...

I took JimH's suggestion and installed the most recent version of MC18.  When uninstalling, I chose the option that implies I was upgrading, and assumed MC19 would be untouched.  Wrong!  After uninstalling MC18, MC19 didn't know where its library was because I moved it from the user area, to an area that could be more easily address when backing up MC files.  Therefore, and because I hadn't backed up my MC19 library, it had lost all media added since, as well as all database associations that would track "last played" (etc).  All presentations of lists had lost their preferences and/or had to be redefined, etc, etc, ... and I'm still finding preferences needing to be redefined.  In fact, I'm not totally sure restoring the library from a more recent backup would have restored anything other than database references to my media files ... i.e., I'm thinking all my MC19 preferences would have been lost(?)

It's almost as if installing MC18 stole many settings, leastwise re-establishing them as new. It would be interesting (for others) to know if this had turned out different if I had re-installed MC19 right after installing MC18, and before uninstalling 18(??)

Feeling better today  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »

The subject of this thread, is exactly the problem I'm having.
Have installed MC19 on Windows Home Server (library server).
Then to client machines, running WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win7/64.
I was only able to Uninstall MC18 from WHS (aka Windows Server 2003), from the Uninstall option of Menu.
The other machines won't uninstall either from the menu option (Uninstall MC18), or from Control panel.
I see various advises above. Which one to follow?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:06:29 pm »

The subject of this thread, is exactly the problem I'm having.
Have installed MC19 on Windows Home Server (library server).
Then to client machines, running WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win7/64.
I was only able to Uninstall MC18 from WHS (aka Windows Server 2003), from the Uninstall option of Menu.
The other machines won't uninstall either from the menu option (Uninstall MC18), or from Control panel.
I see various advises above. Which one to follow?

Reinstall the latest MC18 over the top, then uninstall.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

That worked.
Thanks Matt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up