INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking MC18 to DLNA compliant TV  (Read 2394 times)

Mudguppie

• Recent member
Linking MC18 to DLNA compliant TV
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:49:48 pm »

I want to know if this is possible...

I have a netbook (Asus Aspire One XP SP3) running MC18 in a rack connected through a Sabre DACT DAC to a SPDIF connection to a receiver.  The Sabre is only acting like a USB to SPDIF bridge.  The main TV (Vizio M471i-A2) is connected to the network via WiFi.  Since the PC is tucked away in a cabinet, I want the main TV to display the cover art of whatever the PC is playing.  The TV is not anywhere near the PC so I do not want to run cables.  This seems like it should work but every time I try linking the TV to MC (it is visible to MC) MC crashes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Linking MC18 to DLNA compliant TV
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:08:41 pm »

Vizio does not provide a very good DLNA implementation.  I don't see cover art on it.  Review this thread for some issues:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75975.msg523314#msg523314

I stopped wasting time with it.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »

This wouldn't work anyway, in order for a DLNA TV to display cover art of music that is playing, the music has to be sent to it via DLNA. In this case, the audio is going via USB to a DAC.

The only other way to achieve this is to connect the TV to the laptop via HDMI and use the Playing Now or Display View interface of MC.

What do you mean by linking the TV to MC? Do you mean the TV appears in MC's Playing Now tree and you've tried selecting it and sending audio to it?

Mudguppie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:56 am »

That's how I'm trying to send it.  Linking the DLNA compliant TV as a renderer and have it linked to MC by using linked zones.  In other words, both the TV zone should be playing the same song at the same time as the PC zone because they're linked.  I would just mute the TV.  All I want the TV to do is display the cover art of whatever's playing on the PC.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:34:35 am »

Aha, I see! I that case, try sending music to the TV on its own, i.e. by not linking the zone. If it doesn't crash then I guess the problem is MC, if it does crash then I guess it's most probably the TV or MC's interaction with the TV and you might need to play around with the DLNA settings re: conversion.

connersw

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:46 am »

Are you sure that TV is a DMR (Renderer) and not a DMP (Player)?  I couldn't find it on the DLNA site, and it doesn't list it in the manual.  For some reason, some DMPs show up in MC like they are DMRs, but they are not.  My LG is the same way.  You can "pull" media from MC to it by using the TV's apps, but you can not "push" or send media to it through MC.  If you try to push media to it, you'll get an error message like "something went wrong with playback." 

Mudguppie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I actually got it to display the cover art for the first song I played after linking the zones.  I'm still trying to learn how linked zones work.  I'm sure that once I've figured out how they work then I'm sure it will work this way.  For instance, if I have two linked zones A & B, and I'm at B's computer with a selected playlist on zone B, will the playlist on B also play on A if A is not aware of the playlist (i.e., it's not in A's playlist library)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up