INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help setting up video for best picture with SD and HD  (Read 1846 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Help setting up video for best picture with SD and HD
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:12:44 pm »

I'm not sure what changed to cause my SD material to look so bad - but I need help figuring out what settings to use.
What I seeing is a "shuddering" look on the bright horizontal lines. For example in the opening of Blazing Saddles" the names of the actors are shown in crisp letters but the horizontal edges sort of shudder or blink. And I always see this wave when the camera is panning with lots of horizontal surfaces (like the bleachers in Rudy or the building facades in Batman).

The problem is only an issue with my SD material (and DVDs are 70% of my collection). Most are ripped to MKV some are VOB/IFO.

I have a nVidia GT640 card. Everything set to auto (let program decide). I'm using MadVR softcubic 50, jinc3 (but I've tried a few different combinations).

I have a Pioneer 5080HD (with input set to PC). All the enhancements turned off - but I 've tried them on too.

The confusion is that between the TV and HTPC (JRiver/madVR and video Card) there are too many combinations to try.

What should I look at next, what starting settings in MadVR or nVidia are recommended to start with?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help setting up video for best picture with SD and HD
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:21:35 pm »

Did you try Red October Std or HQ (without modification)?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:55:14 am »

The SD material looks better in RO+STD and the HD material looks best in RO+HQ.
I suppose I could try Zones. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:47:52 pm »

There is another way which you can try with a couple of films first.
madVr will force turning off interlacing if you add deint=off to the file name. Instead of Blazing Saddles.mkv, you'd have Blazing Saddles.deint=off.mkv (I add a dot for clarity).

If you are happy with the results, you can filter all your mpeg-2 movies and make sure those selected are not videos but rather films (videos in mpeg-2 require interlacing), and use the "move rename" tools to add the extra term - renaming to: [Name].deint=off  ([Filename] will give the whole path so don't use that).

Even mpeg-2 files that turn deinterlacing off automatically will play fine with the extra term since they will play deinterlaced, which is what you want in the first place. Then you can watch everything with RO-HQ

Pages: [1]   Go Up