INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low cost motherboard & cpu for simple Win8 server - recommendations?  (Read 4399 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe

I have a old PC running XP that I use as a server for backing up my media. I want to add capacity with 3+TB drives. XP does not support large drives and I need more SATA ports so I plan to upgrade the motherboard/cpu and switch to Windows 8. I want to stay with NTFS and I don't want to learn a new world so linux is not an option for me.

This box is headless and does nothing other than share drives on my network so low cost and reliability are my priorities for this project.

I usually buy high end gear for my desktops and have no experience with purchasing low end stuff.

Could someone please suggest a low cost/reliable motherboard & cpu for this application?

Or if easier for you, point me to the best choice brand I can go look at their product line.

Thanks kindly.

rjm

Re: low cost motherboard & cpu for simple Win8 server - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:43:51 pm »

Did a little research. I am thinking of:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 ($65)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#sp

AMD Sempron 145 Processor 2.8GHZ Socket AM3 1MB L2 Cache 45W ($43)
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/sempron/Pages/AMD-sempron-processor-product-brief.aspx

with 4GBx1 of DDR3-1600 ($49)

running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit OEM ($150)

Anyone see any problems or have a better suggestion?

bv1pacb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:59 am »

I chose the same processor for use with a GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 and 5 hard drives + DVD (up to 8 drives now by means of a port extender).  In a server-only application I think it's adequate, although, as I was using the PC for transcoding, 2 months later I replaced it with an Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 270 3.4GHz, which works well for me.  I also noticed that one application, (can't remember which), required at least 2 cores. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:34 am »

I think new Atoms are coming out soon, or are just released. I'd wait for some proper reviews, but it looks like they are more than twice as fast as they used to be with lower power consumption to boot.

For a headless server that only needs to share some folders, I would think you'd need the cheapest, lowest power consumption that offers enough performance to saturate your network. Old Atoms are widely used in NAS boxes already so the new ones would do fine too.

Mind however that although an Atom supports 64-bit OS, it still only supports a maximum of 4GB memory.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:09:10 pm »

Thanks guys.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »

I think new Atoms are coming out soon, or are just released. I'd wait for some proper reviews, but it looks like they are more than twice as fast as they used to be with lower power consumption to boot.

Definitely wait for Bay Trail if you're thinking of going with Atom.

Already "launched", but products are just trickling out now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up