INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPDIF Input on computer  (Read 12502 times)

skibum

• Recent member
SPDIF Input on computer
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:18:39 am »

Hi,

My computer has an SPDIF input that I want to connect a CD player to (it has an SPDIF output).

Is there anyway for JRiver to get the signal and ouput it to my DAC via USB?

Thanks

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: SPDIF Input on computer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:55:52 am »

My computer has an SPDIF input that I want to connect a CD player to (it has an SPDIF output).

You sure that SPDIF connector on your computer is an "input". Is it one coming from the actual motherboard or is it part of a third party PCI card? I have hand built over 25 computers over the years and have never seen a single one with an SPDIF "input". Conversely almost all of them have had a SPDIF "output".

If it's an output (as I suspect) - then just connect that to your DAC and you are good to go.

But please clarify exact what kind of SPDIF connector you have.

VP

skibum

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:00:52 am »

You sure that SPDIF connector on your computer is an "input". Is it one coming from the actual motherboard or is it part of a third party PCI card? I have hand built over 25 computers over the years and have never seen a single one with an SPDIF "input". Conversely almost all of them have had a SPDIF "output".

If it's an output (as I suspect) - then just connect that to your DAC and you are good to go.

But please clarify exact what kind of SPDIF connector you have.

VP

Hi,

No, definitely a S/PDIF input directly on the motherboard.  

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:10:46 am »

I've seen a lot of motherboards and soundcards with S/PDIF input. My Creative Labs X-Fi Elite not only has S/PDIF input, but it will decode AC3 input, too.

If your computer has an ASIO driver for the audio then you can use File > Open Live > ASIO Line In to route the audio through JRiver.

The Tascam US-366 has ASIO drivers and S/PDIF input if you want to buy something external. However, using the CD player in the computer is a much better solution than trying to connect an external CD player.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:57:34 am »

No, definitely a S/PDIF input directly on the motherboard.  

What motherboard is this?

VP

csimon

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:08 pm »

I also have a coax SPDIF In on my PC - it's a Compulab Intense PC with Intel HD audio.

skibum

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:46 pm »

What motherboard is this?

VP

It is a Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H

skibum

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:57 pm »

I've seen a lot of motherboards and soundcards with S/PDIF input. My Creative Labs X-Fi Elite not only has S/PDIF input, but it will decode AC3 input, too.

If your computer has an ASIO driver for the audio then you can use File > Open Live > ASIO Line In to route the audio through JRiver.

I am using JRiver 18.  I do not see "Open Live".  Is that just on version 19?  I need to see if I have or I can get an ASIO driver.

Thanx!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:36:30 pm »

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 06:30:31 pm »

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4490#sp

"Support for S/PDIF in and out"

Guess I learned something today.

But the fact remains - why would anyone want to use the crappy internal sound interface on a computer for SPDIF in? If the OP already has a decent DAC - I would be running the CD SPDIF out - directly into the DAC and leave it at that.

VP

skibum

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 04:18:13 am »

I have a cheap USB only DAC I got on Ebay. 

If anyone can offer any help me get this working that would be appreciated.

Can I do this with JRiver 18 or do I need to get 19?

I am confused about needing ASIO.  Do I need something like this:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Or something like an Realtek HD Audio Driver?

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:14 am »

Hi,

Yeah, the phono SPDIF on the back of the motherboard connectors panel is an OUT.

For SPDIF IN you need to connect to the SPDIF IN pins on the actual motherboard as shown below.

Gigabyte and other manufacturers do phono to 2 pin header on a plate that installs like a card.

John

csimon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 05:10:24 am »

But the fact remains - why would anyone want to use the crappy internal sound interface on a computer for SPDIF in? If the OP already has a decent DAC - I would be running the CD SPDIF out - directly into the DAC and leave it at that.

Why would an onboard SPDIF be any different from an outboard SPDIF, in particular so low in quality to be described as "crappy"?  I posed a similar question here (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84421.0 - "If using SPDIF, does choice of sound card/DAC matter?") and the basic answer, once you get past the fluff, is that there isn't any difference.

One advantage of passing an external SPDIF through MC for processing is that you get to use MC's processing engine, or is that too obvious?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:39:33 am »

Why would an onboard SPDIF be any different from an outboard SPDIF, in particular so low in quality to be described as "crappy"?  I posed a similar question here (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84421.0 - "If using SPDIF, does choice of sound card/DAC matter?") and the basic answer, once you get past the fluff, is that there isn't any difference.

Totally understood. 

Quote from: csimon
One advantage of passing an external SPDIF through MC for processing is that you get to use MC's processing engine, or is that too obvious?

No - it's totally obvious. And since the OP clarified that his DAC is USB only - I can see why the question is on the table regarding SPDIF.

Cheers

VP

skibum

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:04:42 am »

Hi,

Yeah, the phono SPDIF on the back of the motherboard connectors panel is an OUT.

For SPDIF IN you need to connect to the SPDIF IN pins on the actual motherboard as shown below.

Gigabyte and other manufacturers do phono to 2 pin header on a plate that installs like a card.

John

Yes, I have a RCA plug connected to these SPDIF IN pins.  I am all connected, but I just can't get it to work...   ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:37 pm »

I have a cheap USB only DAC I got on Ebay.  

If anyone can offer any help me get this working that would be appreciated.

Can I do this with JRiver 18 or do I need to get 19?

I am confused about needing ASIO.  Do I need something like this:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Or something like an Realtek HD Audio Driver?

At the moment, JRiver only supports two types of inputs from other software: asio input (either when being used as an asio driver in another program or using the "open live" function) and WASAPI loopback.  If you have a digital input that doesn't have an ASIO driver, I'm not aware of an option in JRiver that will allow you to route that input into JRiver without using another program to play it (and then JRiver can loop it back).

The only way I've ever gotten a non-ASIO digital input into JRiver (other than by using another program as an intermediate player) is by using Asio4all to simulate an ASIO interface for the input.  The problem with that (in my own experience) is that ASIO4All is kind of flaky and it didn't work as consistently as I'd like.  But when it worked, it worked, so it might be worth a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up