INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XO and EQ: Connecting third party EQ and time delay VST plugins in MC19  (Read 3053 times)

yoshi_1

• Recent member

Hi,

I've tried several approaches to a PC based digital crossover and EQ. I've used the Convolution engine in MC and created filters with Audiolense software, but I struggled to get this sounding as I would like.

Current setup looks like this:
MC19 -> Direct Sound -> LynxTwo-B sound interface (with internal loopback) -> Console VST host (hosts four instances of VST EQ plug in (PlPArEQ) and two instances of time delay VST plug in (Voxengo)) -> LynxTwo-B outputs.

This makes a three way XO and EQ with delay to correct for individual driver offsets. This is a neat setup, but forces me to use Direct Sound output from MC19, as Console is already running ASIO to control the LynxTwo-B. I would like to use ASIO output from MC19 instead of Direct Sound, and would also like to try different DAC options as well other than the Lynx.

This leads to my question: Is there a way to use MC19 like this:

MC19 -> PlParEq VST plugins for XO, EQ and Voxengo time delay configured to make six channel output (low pass, band pass and high pass corrected for individual driver offsets) -> ASIO -> Asynchronous USB interface (e.g. Exadevices ExaU2I) -> 6 channel DAC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:-)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: XO and EQ: Connecting third party EQ and time delay VST plugins in MC19
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:21:50 pm »

yes you can use VST

in DSP&output Format choose "manage plug-in"

install a VST framework, I use Plogue Bidule

Inside this VST host you just use any VST plug-in you want, delay, XO , filters etc.

yoshi_1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »

Thank you for your reply pschelbert.

I'm not sure I understood what you meant though. Do you mean that MC hosts the VST plug in host program Bidule?

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:42 pm »

Hi

MC is the main program.

Inside MC you run the VST-Host (which can be Plogue-Bidule, audiomulch etc.)

Then inside this VST-host, which is inside MC, you run your VST-Plug-in as you would run the VST-Plug in in any VST host.

Its hierarchical:
1) MC

2) VST-host runned as VST-Plugin inside MC (here you need to run the VST Host plug-in version of Plogue, not the standalone version)

3) VST Plug-in inside VST-host

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:57 am »

MC can natively host any number of VST plugins, so you might not need to host a host.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

yoshi_1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

Thanks pschelbert and Matt.

I've now been experimenting a little with Plogue Bidule as standalone application and as a VST plug in MC19. As standalone app, I'm able to set up the three way stereo XO as described through linked VST plug ins, see attached snip of setup in Bidule. However, I can only get MC19 working using DirectSound. Once I try Bidule in VST plug in mode in MC19, the Lynx ASIO input and output disappears. I would like to bypass the windows sound mixer using ASIO output from MC19. Is this possible with this kind of setup?

Explanation of setup in Bidule. The first instance of PlParEq runs as EQ only, the rest of them as lowpass, bandpass and highpass, respectively. The two instances of Voxengo Sound Delay is for speaker offset correction.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:24:40 pm »

Do you realize that JRiver's DSP does 64-bit parametric EQ, delays, crossovers, etc. so there is no need for any VST plugins? You can also setup different zones for testing various crossover/PEQ settings.

I also use Audiolense. Do you need any help?

yoshi_1

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:37:53 pm »

I would like to use the PlParEq which is linear phase IIR. My understanding is that the EQ in J River is minmum phase. Please correct med if I'm wrong. I've used Audiolense for a few years, and the less correction I applied, the more transparent and natural the sound became, to my ears at least. I'm not saying that you can't get fantastic results using Audiolense. I just prefer the more manual and on-the-fly-adjustable approach.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »

I'm not sure if you have the latest version of Audiolense. If you want to play around, in Audiolense 4.7 XO you can do linear phase crossovers with no room correction with the option to use the target for EQ in the no correction zone.

This will perform the delay, crossovers, and phase correction. You can add EQ if necessary or choose to just apply correction below 200 Hz, for example. This will allow you to EQ below the Schroeder, but leave the other frequencies untouched.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »

Hi

thanks Matt, I was not aware of just using VST plugin without a host. Loooks I do things a bit too complicated.

However:
How I did it:
1) I used Plogue Bidule stanalone and desinged the whole audiopath (crossover etc.): save the layout as *.bidule
2) Opended the VST-Host in JRiver, loaded the *.bidule I saved before.

ASIO: I use only ASIO, never used anything else.
What I am not anymore sure, how the Input-output blocks appeared in the VST framework.
I just can say it works flawless.May be you have first to choose ASIO under "Tools", "Audio Device": choose ASIO
Yes its true, I cannot choose under palette the audio-device block, somwhow it was just there....
Pages: [1]   Go Up