INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4a and M4P Files  (Read 2839 times)

mkelly

• Recent member
M4a and M4P Files
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:14 pm »

I am using MC18 and can't play my m4p files.
At first m4a would not work, but I changed the file type to read J River Audio Engine using Direct Show. M4A works but not M4P..What am I doing wrong?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: M4a and M4P Files
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:45:25 pm »

m4p files can only be played through Quicktime engine.  Make sure you set Playback Method to either Automatic or Quicktime Engine, not JRiver audio engine. Unprotected m4a files should play in JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filters) or JRiver audio engine (using input plug-in), and therefore should work if you set it to "Automatic".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:34 pm »

You may also wish to try deleting or moving your M4P files, and re-downloading them off your iTunes account.
Apple has started to distribute higher quality DRM-free files for many albums now.

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:01:55 am »

OK thanks....will try
but I had JRiver on anther laptop and the m4a and m4p files all played...quick time was installed, but the Options Setting was "Automatic"
I toggled the "Options-FIle Type Setting" to "QuickTime", but the m4p song/music would not play. The 'blue ribbon' showed that it was playing, but no sound!
eventually it just moved on to the next song, which was m4a, and it played successfully

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »

You may also wish to try deleting or moving your M4P files, and re-downloading them off your iTunes account.
Apple has started to distribute higher quality DRM-free files for many albums now.

Unfortunately, some of my favourite songs that don't work in MC any more are no longer sold on iTunes. Fortunately (?), I got a compilation album with some of them, but had to pay another $13. :(

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:53:45 pm »

sorry, but still no luck...my m4p files will play on one computer using JRiver MC18. However on my "main computer" m4p files will not play....any ideas?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

sorry, but still no luck...my m4p files will play on one computer using JRiver MC18. However on my "main computer" m4p files will not play....any ideas?
Is Quicktime installed? Media Center should prompt you for it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:34:34 pm »

Can you play the file in iTunes?

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »

yes Quicktime is installed
Yes it plays in iTunes and they (M4P) also play on both of my other computers that have JRiver installed, so it must be a setting somewhere?...aarghh

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:33:05 pm »

All of a sudden my files play in MC again. I did nothing except update iTunes. Perhaps it was a bug in the past several versions of iTunes?

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »

I got it fixed. I HOPE THE GUYS AT JRiver ARE READING THIS. The problem was simple. Since I have moved from iTunes to JRiver (its a better program, right?) it (iTunes) was not installed on my new computer. The JRiver Tools-Options-File Types indicates that I needed Quicktime....which I installed (unwillingly). But Quicktime will not play m4p files. iTunes must be used.
So I think that in the JRiver drop-down box it should say iTunes instead of Quicktime....it would help

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:50 am »

I hear you.  We could do better in detecting such condition I guess.

You need to install iTunes for just one purpose, to get your computer licensed.  That was the reason I asked you whether it played in iTunes, but your answer seemed to be yes, it did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up