INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working with split views  (Read 3330 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Working with split views
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:52:02 am »

Recently I've found myself using split views quite often - for a couple of reasons:
  • It bypasses the tab limitations. I can have a tab open for each of my zones in the left pane (only just though) and tabs for media browsing on the right rather than being limited to 6 tabs.
  • Ever since Aero Snap shortcuts were broken, and because you can't drag the Media Center window when it's maximized, it's easier to just watch in the left-hand pane and minimize the tree than snap to one side of the screen if I don't want to watch something fullscreen.

There are some problems with it though:
  • I wonder if playback controls could be moved inside the panes. When I'm playing video in a split view, using split views to monitor/control two zones at once, I'd really like to see progress for both zones at the same time. When playing files in the background, I can only see progress up to 50% and then it gets covered by the other window.
  • I have the Jump on Play (video) preference set to Display View. If Playing Now is open, but in the other pane, it still switches to the fullscreen Display View rather than playing in the pane.
  • Vertical Splits are kept in sync between panes. I can't have the left pane playing a video, and the right pane showing the same zone, with the split maximized to give me a full height playlist. As soon as focus changes the video is hidden.
  • Video playback always wants to jump between panes. Can I just force it to always play in Pane 1 if that zone is open in more than one pane?
  • Another setting I'd like to see which is not specific to a split view, but more important when it's in use: When a pane or the tree is hidden, I'd like to be able to mouse over it and have it appear on top, similar to what happens to the tree in Cover View - but without the transparency.
  • Clicking on a web view does not switch focus to that pane. (this happens all the time)
  • You can't drag tabs between panes. (or re-organize them at all)
  • I'm not sure if using split views is the cause (I think it is) but I've also been running into issues where madVR doesn't seem to think playback has exited fullscreen view and stays at 24p.

And because I've taken to watching videos "windowed" in a pane this way, it would also be really useful if there were an option in Media Center which could adjust the height of the playlist in "Playing Now" based on the height of the video - but only when the view is split, or perhaps with a minimum number of tracks displayed. (it would fill the screen at all times otherwise)

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Working with split views
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »

It bypasses the tab limitations. I can have a tab open for each of my zones in the left pane (only just though) and tabs for media browsing on the right rather than being limited to 6 tabs
I currently have nine tabs open. If you click on a view with the middle mouse button, it opens in a new tab. Slightly off topic, I know, but thought you might appreciate the tip.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:22:47 pm »

I currently have nine tabs open. If you click on a view with the middle mouse button, it opens in a new tab. Slightly off topic, I know, but thought you might appreciate the tip.
I was not aware of that, thanks for posting it! ;D

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:59:53 am »

Something else I forgot to mention is that it would be really nice if we could have a way of going from having a split view minimized to maximized in a single click.

Normally you have a split with:

Which changes to:
←  or  →
←      →

when minimized or maximized.

Could one of the arrows be replaced with a maximize one?

←  or  ⇉
⇇      →
Pages: [1]   Go Up