INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Does Not See My iPhone 4S  (Read 3703 times)

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
MC Does Not See My iPhone 4S
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:53:03 pm »

When I click on Sync Handhelds, MC comes up with nothing although for sure my iPhone is plugged into my PC and Windows File Manager absolute sees it.  What can I do to fix this and this is an obstacle in allowing me to sync playlists to my iPhone. 

Please help.  Thanx ... Dan

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Does Not See My iPhone 4S
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:14:50 pm »

MC does not support iPhone directly.. I know, that sucks.  You can export your playlist/view to itunes and sync from itunes to your iphone  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:27 pm »

I think iOS devices are pretty much locked into iTunes for syncing, with only the older iPods supported by third-party programs.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »

I think iOS devices are pretty much locked into iTunes for syncing, with only the older iPods supported by third-party programs.

There are some new programs that circumvent this. One member here posted about one of these just yesterday, I think. I forget which, but the bottom line is MC cannot do this. I'd like to feel comfortable adding a 'yet' at the end, but I am not.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »

You could try File > Export to iTunes & iPhone in MC.  There's also a third-party iTunes sync plugin for MC you could try.

(p.s. I removed some unnecessarily political comments from this thread)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »

Prod's MCiS plugin works great for syncing MC to iTunes and back, in order to be able to use iTunes to sync with your iPhone, without "really" having to use iTunes.  I have it all scripted to sync itself up daily.

However... There's really no reason to do that much anymore, unless you regularly go places where you have no cell service (and would want music then).*

Just get JRemote and set it up.

* And if JRemote adds local caching and Video support, then there'd really be no reason to sync at all anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »

From what I can see with JRemote, it only works if you have internet access to the MC music library.  Once you're out of range - it don't work. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

From what I can see with JRemote, it only works if you have internet access to the MC music library.  Once you're out of range - it don't work.  

No, you can set it up to stream to the Internet (actually quite easily), as long as your PC at home is always online (and running MC in Library Server mode).  I listen to JRemote from work or in my car almost every day.

Usually, you just need to open a firewall port on your home router and forward it to the computer that is running MC:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

If you need help forwarding the port using your particular router, go here:
http://portforward.com/

Then, use the Access Key generated by MC in Tools > Options > Media Network to add the server to JRemote, and you can stream music to the iPhone from your computer from anywhere you can get online with your device (assuming your PC at home is also turned on and online).

If you want to test it out before you buy JRemote, once you enable Media Network and set up the port forwarding, you can open the built-in web client on your iPhone from anywhere to make sure it works.  Open this page on your phone, substituting the Access Key provided by MC in the appropriate place:

http://webplay.jriver.com/YourAccessKeyHere

The web client works for basic use, but if you want a nice native experience, JRemote is quite well done and actively developed.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:43:48 pm »

OK - this feature sounds like just what I need!  Firstly, how do I turn on "MC in Library Server mode?" 

Next I'm assuming I have to spend about $30 for PFConfig which will allow me to port forward?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »

OK - this feature sounds like just what I need!  Firstly, how do I turn on "MC in Library Server mode?"  

Two things in Tools > Options:

1. Options > Media Network: Check the Use Media Network box to enable the Library Server.  You can generate your key here, and send yourself an "invite" email that includes the web addresses I mentioned above.  Click on the little ... button next to the Access Key for options.

2. Options > Startup: Set Windows Startup to either Media Server or Media Server and Media Center (depending on if you want MC to auto-start in "background" Library Server only mode, or in full-blown MC is running mode automatically at boot).

Next I'm assuming I have to spend about $30 for PFConfig which will allow me to port forward?

Nah.  That's just the lazy way.

This procedure is common for all sorts of applications that can act as servers.

You just need to figure out what kind of Router you have there, and then look that router up on their website to find instructions on how to get into the router's admin interface and set the settings.  The vast majority of home-consumer targeted routers out there run a little web server for administration, so you just visit this special web site that only works from inside your network, log in, and set the proper settings.

So, for example, if you happened to have the venerable Linksys WRT54GL wifi router, you'd find this page here:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GL/

Now, MC isn't listed in their list, but it doesn't matter... You only need to forward one TCP port for MC, so you can just use any of the application guides that forward a single TCP port and replace the port number they suggest with the one MC needs.  The HTTP example is probably a good one to use if they have one written up for your router, but really anything will do if it changes one TCP port.

MC uses TCP port 52199 by default (I believe), but you can find yours in that same Options > Media Network dialog, under Advanced.

You will probably also need to (depending on the capabilities of your particular router) set your server to always get the same IP address from your router (assign it a static IP address).  Usually the way it works is that you set up Port Forwarding to do essentially this logic:

If the Router receives traffic it doesn't know about from the Internet on TCP Port 52199, then instead of ignoring/blocking it (the default behavior of a NAT firewall) then instead send it to this particular machine inside the network that is listening for traffic on that port (the computer running MC).

But the problem is that if your router only lets you set the machine it will be forwarded to by an IP address (192.168.0.16, for example) then that will work as long as the IP of your server doesn't ever change.  This shouldn't happen normally, but if you shut your server down (or your network goes down or your power goes out) for an extended period, then your computer can get a different address when it boots back up and asks the router for one.

The guide there will probably cover setting the server with a Static IP (if needed), but if not, then you can often do this right from on your server machine without setting anything on the router itself.

Go to the Control Panel (the real one, not the PC Settings thing if you happen to be on Windows 8), and open:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Then, follow these instructions:
http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11/26/windows-7-static-ip/

Make sure you set the static IP to be in the same "range" as the ones your router would give out anyway.  So, if your router is at 192.168.0.1, then you probably want to set the computer to be something in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255, set the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 (almost certainly) and the Default Gateway to the router's address (192.168.0.1).

sunfire7

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:01:47 am »

You could try File > Export to iTunes & iPhone in MC.  There's also a third-party iTunes sync plugin for MC you could try.

(p.s. I removed some unnecessarily political comments from this thread)

Maybe it's time to work on that feature, seems forgotten by devs and it really needs some improvement...

* And if JRemote adds local caching and Video support, then there'd really be no reason to sync at all anymore.

Totally Agree!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:06 am »

OK - this is actually some fun! I"m progressing with your instructions. 
I got to the Properties windows for my Local Area Connection. But the IP addresses that come up for my PC are even close to the ones you mention in your post. 
So I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed now. 
See attachments please.

Thanx....d.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:58:11 am »

Oh - sorry - one more thing.  I have a SBG6580 SURFboard® DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Gateway - Motorola and I was able to login to it - no problem.  But I'm confused as to what settings I need to toggle.  A little help on this too would be good.  Thanx.... d.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 09:43:30 am »

Playlist Issues Resolved!

Like I mentioned earlier, I created a iTunes installation on a spare PC, sourced it to my one and only external music library hard drive  - then - I easily recreated all my iTunes playlists by importing them - then, AND GET THIS - I Exported those same playlists in .m3u format (thanx for that tip!) - AND - placed them in a Folder on my one and only external music library hard drive and when I launch MC, IT FOUND THEM - automatically - WOW - and I sat there smiling, just watching all my old iTunes playlists come to life right before my eyes in MC!  NICE! 

Problem solved!

Now to get this Port Forwarding thingy done I'll be cruising to my 70,000 tunes where ever I go!

What fun!

Thanx .... Dan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:45:03 am »

I'll try to remember to help you out tonight.  That's enough info to get the Port Forwarding done.

If I forget, bump this thread.

rcshooter

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

I had some trouble  with it also.............I was using a new Iphone and I did not have the bluetooth turned on..........turned it on and it went smooth from there...
With Respect,
Ron

rcshooter

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:40 am »

I had also had some  trouble.........I just bought a new Iphone and the wi-fi was not turned on....My acess code was recognized but It said that I had no internet .....I turned it on and it went smoothly.
I used Itunes to download  the app but none of my files are in I tunes.
With Respect,
Ron

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:27 pm »

I'm almost there with my PortForwarding efforts.  I bought PFConfig.  Made the job easy - I guess.  I can access my MC music library from my iPhone now using JRemote only when my iPhone is connected to the internet with WiFi.  Once I'm out of range of my router - I'm dead.  There's something called a UDP Port Number - I was asked for this information during the PFConfig setup, but I had no idea how or where to get this number. So I left it blank and I'm thinking that's my problem. 

Can you please help me find what the correct answer is wrt to MC and the UDP Port Number?

Thanx. ... Dan

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 05:12:09 am »

OK - this is actually some fun! I"m progressing with your instructions. 
I got to the Properties windows for my Local Area Connection. But the IP addresses that come up for my PC are even close to the ones you mention in your post. 
So I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed now. 
See attachments please.

Thanx....d.

The default gateway listed is exactly what Glynor explained/assumed you would have. to see the network address for your specific computer you can open a command prompt (type "command.com" in the Start>Run box) then enter "ipconfig" at the prompt. You will see the settings for your computer. Or go the Routers Admin screen and you should be able to get a listing of all the IP addresses for you network devices.
Such as this (from DLink router settings page):

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:58 am »

Didn't get to it yet.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
JRemote - Connection Failure
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 08:45:33 am »

I tried to post this on the JRemote topic but could not find any means to do so.  Had to post this question here.

I'm using JRemote on my iPhone. I bought PFConfig and installed it on my PC.  I have configured MC Server as per your instructions (I hope) and still - I get connection failures every time I try to connect with my iPHone when I'm linked by 4G - NOT wifi.

The exact message is:  " Connection failure - Could not connect to server, make sure it's available"

Also when I'm on the JRemote screen called "Add server details" - I enter my access key along with my PC's login credentials and I get this failure message when I tap "Add and connect"  -  "Access key was verified, but computer connection failed. Make sure your computer is running and connect to a network."

I CAN connect using wifi - no problem.

Advise please? 

Thanx ... Dan

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
MC Playlists and the iPhone
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:14 am »

Can I get someone who really knows about MC to confirm once and for all that playlists created on MC absolutely can not be transferred/sync'd with your everyday common iPHone? 

The only way to move a playlist to an iPhone is to create that playlist using iTunes.

Please confirm.

Thanx ... Dan

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 11:14:17 am »

Try restarting your router again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote - Connection Failure
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 11:19:26 am »

I tried to post this on the JRemote topic but could not find any means to do so.  Had to post this question here.

Please use the JRemote thread on the Third Party board.  Maybe you tried posting in the old one and it was locked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up