INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Problem with Enable Automatic Display Setting Change  (Read 1666 times)

user38

• Recent member
Playback Problem with Enable Automatic Display Setting Change
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:38:38 am »

Hi, I am currently using MC18 as a media server and player to play my ripped bluray and DVD movies.  My monitor is a 52 inch Samsung LCD TV and is rated for 100 hz playback.  It has a 24 FPS mode.  My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit and my CPU is a core i7.

I currently rebuilt my system and I upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia Geoforce 760.  I had previously used a Radeon card.

My default screen resolution is 1360x768.  I used the Automatic Display Setting Change option to play back film at 1920x1080x32x24.  My bluray files are correctly tagged as FPS 23.98.

I have notice that if I select video clock smoothing and change automatic display settings the videos play back at 25 FPS and I get a rolling horizontal artifact (a segment of the picture breaks and appears to roll up the screen).  If I select change automatic display settings and do not choose video clock smoothing the video plays back at 24 FPS but I still get the rolling artifact.  The video plays back perfectly if I manually change the resolution to 1920x1080 and deselect change automatic display settings.

I am using Red October HQ.  I have tried Red October Standard and I have toggled hardware acceleration.  Nothing seems to affect the artifact.  I note that this problem only occurs on my Samsung TV.  A second computer monitor connected to the DVI port seems to work OK.

I have searched the forum for Nvidia card problems.  It seems there are a lot of them but I do not really understand most of the answers. 

Is this a problem with Nvidia cards?  I don't want to put my old radeon back in the machine if I can avoid it (as it is less powerful and I also use the computer for gaming).  I would be willing to buy a more powerful Radeon card if this fixes the problem. 
Can someone help?

Stephen

user38

• Recent member
Re: Playback Problem with Enable Automatic Display Setting Change
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:43:05 am »

OK, I found the answer to my problem.  It is a little bizarre.  For some reason, the Nvidia card recognises my second display connected to the DVI port as the primary display.  It must be trying to clone the output to that monitor (which is a proper LCD computer monitor) to my samsung.  When I change the settings in the Nvidia control panel to not output to that monitor the playback is fixed.  The problem persists if I set the computer monitor to be my cloned secondary display: I have to set Nividia to either not recognise it at all or to span the monitors.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:32 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.

user38

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »

No problems.  I appreciate that there are about a billion different configurations of computer systems and everyone seems to want to do different things with your program.  (From the forums it appears most people seem to want to use it for things it was never designed to do.)

Obviously my samsung monitor and computer monitor have different maximum refresh rates and, regardless of how I set the monitors up in Nvidia control panel, the Nvidia card defaulted to the refresh rate of the monitor attached to the DVI port.  Another problem is computer monitors are actually 16:10 rather than 16:9 so there would also be an aspect ratio issue.  Not to mention my samsung is a few years old and is probably not as sophisticated as my computer monitor (cheapy though it is).

I would still like to clone the computer monitor so I might try connecting it to the second HDMI port to see if that fixes the problem.

Stephen
Pages: [1]   Go Up