INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 19 and VLink  (Read 2361 times)

lightminer

• Recent member
JRiver 19 and VLink
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »

I'm currently using a VLink with JRiver 19 as of yesterday.

So, if I understand right the 'best' setting is Wasapi / exclusive access.  That seems to be one of the few settings that I can't seem to get to work.  I believe the VLink can't do 16 bit, and that is one factor in general at play here.

Here are some combinations I've tried:

When I say 96 I mean 'all set to 96'.  When I say 44.1->96, I mean below 44.1 'use 44.1', then 'keep', then after 96 'use 96'.

kHz / bits / channels / exclusive access      Result

96/32/2/no                Sound
96/32/2/yes               Error Message #1
96/24/2/no                Sound
96/24/2/yes               Silence
96/auto/2/no              Sound
44.1->96/auto/2/no    Error Message #2
44.1->96/auto/2/yes   Silence

Error Message #1: Playback could not be started on output wasapi using 96/16/2.  (Note that in no cases was bit depth set to 16 suggesting that something is making the requested bit depth change in JRiver not work.)
Error Message #2: Couldn't use 44.1/16/2, mixing format of hardware doesn't support...  Use 96/32/2 instead.   (Note that this was very interesting first as again JRiver isn't respecting my bit depth choice, but here it suggests what should work, and thus my emphasis on 32 above, though on JRiver 17 I used 24 all the time.).

So a lot of those settings do work, and it seems more like it doesn't work with 'exclusive access' than anything else.  However, I read from this page that I can only get rid of the windows mixer if I use wasapi *and* exclusive access.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

So, going to the next lower set of settings according to that page:

Kernel Streaming
44.1->96/24/2/NA    Sound

That seems to be the best I can come up with.

So here are my questions:

#1 Why is JRiver not respecting my bit-depth choices?  (Assuming I'm correctly interpreting what is going on above where the error message says the VLink is getting 16 even thought I've set it to 24)
#2 Why does exclusive access not work with a VLink?
#3 Does a VLink need exclusive access - maybe it take control of the USB port anyhow?
#4 Is Kernel Streaming better than wasapi with exclusive access off, because as you can see I can choose from these two choices assuming the software as-is is my only choice:

wasapi / 44.1->96/24/2/no
kernel streaming / 44.1->96/24/2/NA

I will eventually get a new dac and asynch device or use another connector but for now the VLink is going to be there, so I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks!

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 19 and VLink
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

I've got a V-Link and I'll try to answer your questions.
1) Because the V-link only outputs 24 bit even if it's "supplied" 16 bit data. This is not a negative unless you have a 16bit DAC (not many people have).
2) It does for me.
3) It doesn't need it, but it's optimal if it can have it; mine does.
4) No.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:26 pm »

I just installed a V-Link and the latest driver from here on my Windows 8.1 machine:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/support/software-downloads/

I picked the device in Options > Audio and it started playing in exclusive mode with no trouble. 

The automatic bitdepth selection works and correctly uses '24-bit (padded)' as reported in Audio Path.

Maybe you could reinstall your driver?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »

I just installed a V-Link and the latest driver from here on my Windows 8.1 machine:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/support/software-downloads/

I picked the device in Options > Audio and it started playing in exclusive mode with no trouble. 

The automatic bitdepth selection works and correctly uses '24-bit (padded)' as reported in Audio Path.

Maybe you could reinstall your driver?

Matt, this appears to be a driver for the V-Link 192 and not the original V-Link or the V-Link II which are only 96Khz capable.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:58 pm »

Matt, this appears to be a driver for the V-Link 192 and not the original V-Link or the V-Link II which are only 96Khz capable.

Sorry, I think I had a V-Link 192.  I didn't realize there were several models.

Even the 192 is listed as discontinued, so the other ones must be even older?  This probably rules out getting any updates / fixes from Music Fidelity.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stewart_pk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »

Sorry, I think I had a V-Link 192.  I didn't realize there were several models.

Even the 192 is listed as discontinued, so the other ones must be even older?  This probably rules out getting any updates / fixes from Music Fidelity.

Yeah there are/were three different models if I'm not mistaken.
The orignal V-Link and then the V-Link II and V-Link 192 came out about the same time.
I have the orignal "black" coloured V-Link and have not had to install any drivers under Windows 7/8/8.1.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:53 pm »

lightminer,

If kernel streaming works it should sound as good as Wasapi. Some people say that kernel streaming should be one's first choice, though I don't think folks at JRiver agree. Kernel streaming is often harder to getting working, i.e. you might get clicks or stutters, but if you don't get those, sound wise you should be set. I used it when I had another computer, but on the pc I have currently I get some odd sound when I start tracks so Wasapi for me.

I have the V-Link 192 and V-dac by the way. I can't imagine that there isn't something that you're missing re your problems, because I've had no trouble with either, and I can't imagine that the V-link is much different than the V-dac and V-link 192, compatibility wise.

-Chris

lightminer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:54:25 pm »

Thanks for all of the comments! 

Right, so I do have the older black one, and there is no firmware as far as I know.

Stewart, one small note on your first reply to #1, the issue isn't between the VLink and DAC, its between JRiver and the VLink.  If I have the #bits set to 24, it tells me "Can't play 16 bit on this device".  So that doesn't make any sense.  Okay, but there may be nothing to learn there, and maybe it is a reporting error rather than an actual error, I assume JRiver will send the #Bits you ask it to, that is pretty fundamental.

Okay, so 'exclusive mode' works for someone else.  I guess there may not be much I can do...  Extremely annoying. 

Also, as I play with this, and per my chart at the beginning it doesn't look like the VLink can take 44.1 or 48 - only 96.  I know it is supposed to take all the frequencies.  Very odd.  If they had a new one I guess I could try and trade it in.  Not sure why they stopped making them, darn good item for the price, but I guess that particular market got away from them a bit.

Looks like everything will have to play at wasapi/24/96/nonexlcusive for now...

(Oh, on kernel streaming, I couldn't get it to play 24/96 HDTracks recordings, it would only play the 16/44.1 stuff.  Even if I have DSP set the output to 44.1 *or* 96.)

I'm on the newest version of JRiver, I wonder if there is some oddness in there that might go away soon?  This is pretty strange stuff.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:42 pm »

Lightminer, what dac are you using?

If it's the V-dac, have you tried its usb input?

It still is possible that it's a dac problem when you get silence as in your last option (from your table).

Could it be a hardware/cable problem?

I can't tell from your table but have you tried no conversion at all. IOW 44.1/auto/auto/yes?

-Chris

lightminer

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:54 pm »

It is a Beresford Caiman.  I'll try it direct and see what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up