INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tv tuner  (Read 1419 times)

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
Tv tuner
« on: March 05, 2002, 07:34:17 pm »

I've just installed a Hauppauge WinTv (dbx stereo with Fm radio). Everything is working great both in VFW applications and in DirectShow/wdm applications: in specific Hauppauge applications WinTv2000 and Wintv32, DScaler, Vidcap32, amCap and also my own DirectShow video capture code...

But I'm unable to use the tuner in Mj. When I select Scan for Channels I always get an "unable to connect to tuner" message. Suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.218

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1892 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 345 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3315.2902
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Yaobing

RE:Tv tuner
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 05:40:36 am »

Claudio,

Was the error message "unable to connect to tuner" as you stated, or "Failed to Access TV Tuner"?

Which Hauppauge driver did you install (VFW or WDM)?

Please try manually add an channel and see if you can play it.

Yaobing

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 06:23:37 am »

Hi Yaobing,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the vfw driver installed ( "Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver", 3.11.19228.0 )

1] if I do not have any channels setup and I do a "scan for channels" from Add the message I get is "Failed to access tv tuner"

2] If I maually enter a channel and then watch it, I get "Failed to play TV (unkwnow error)" and MJ exits. Then since I have "StartPlayback" enabled, on the next MJ startup, I get the same "Failed to play TV (unkwnow error)", but then MJ crashes badly with "unable to read from location". Setting the key "StartPlayback" to 0 in the registry got me out of this loop

Let me know if you want me to run any more tests

Claudio

Yaobing

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 07:08:38 am »

Claudio,

Since you have VfW driver, MJ is supposed to prompt you to download Hauppauge OCX files from JRiver site. Have you been prompted for downloading?

Yaobing

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 07:29:34 am »

Nope, I was not prompted for any download.

I have other capture devices (not tuner) on my system so maybe this is what fooled MJ?

Where can I find those Hauppauge OCX  files (and what exactly are they) ?

Thanks
Claudio

Yaobing

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2002, 07:45:51 am »

Claudio,

Hm.... Have you tried any of the previous MJ 8 builds? Maybe there is a problem in the current build.

The OCX files should be automatically downloaded when the program sees the need for them. You can not download them manually.

Please try this:

Click Add button to add a new "channel", choosing "Input Source" instead of "Tuner Channel" for Type and choose 1 or 2 for Number. Then try playing this "channel". It does not matter whether you have S-Video or Composite connected to your TV card. This should let you avoid the "Failed to Access TV Tuner" error and still get the TV-specific right-click menu. Now right-click in the video window and choose Devices from the top group of menu options, and check the right device from the list.

If you can not get the right-click menu, then delete the following value from the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\TV Settings\VideoDeviceDisplayName
and restart TV. This way the program will display a dialog asking you to choose a device.

Thanks for your patience. your TV card is the same kind as mine, and I use Windows 2000 too. It should work.

Yaobing

Ton-Up

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2002, 08:19:33 am »

Yaobing,
There does seem to be some sort of problem with this latest build. If I select a channel to watch all I get is a message in the viewer window saying "ATL 3.0:MJTVctrl" and then a very messed up picture which phases in and out. The Sound is fine.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2002, 09:02:58 am »

Yaobing,

I tried your suggestions and have been able to reselect the corret device (i.e. clearing up the tuner name in the registry) but I got the same errors as before. In fact even in the registry the device was already selected correctly. I also have version 8.211 cached and so I installed it  (on top of the latest 218) but still no luck.

Ok, since I'm very happy with Dscaler (well, except for the sound) I'll continue with that for now. I'll try this again with MJ 8 in future builds to see if I can get it to run

Thanks
Claudio

Yaobing

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2002, 10:07:56 am »

Claudio,

You might want to try installing Hauppauge's WDM driver. With WDM driver we will not have to deal with the Hauppauge OCX files. Also you will have the added ability of using Deinterlace feature which I am now working on - since you like DScaler.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2002, 10:24:37 am »

Yaobing,

Do you have a download link for the Hauppage WDM driver?

I've looked at their Win2k download site but could not see it. I'am aware of a couple of WDM open source driver for the Brooktree chip but I was under the impression that they were not ready for prime time yet.

Glad to hear deinterlacing is coming to MJ!!

Claudio

Yaobing

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2002, 10:50:18 am »

/http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/wdm/wdm327_20021.exe

Yaobing

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2002, 10:51:31 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up