INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Uninstall  (Read 1456 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can't Uninstall
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:54 am »

Trying to clean up my HTPC system since it has a small SSD boot drive that is filling up.  I have MC18 and MC19 installed, and when I try to uninstall MC18 I get an error that rundll32 has stopped responding.  Is there a manual uninstall method?

Also noticed (using a drive space analysis program) that I have ~4GB of stuff left out in the user folder from older versions of MC (old cache files and such).  Is that expected?  I would expect that when I use the uninstaller it would get rid of that old stuff.  What all other stuff does MC leave out there when you uninstall that must be manually removed?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Can't Uninstall and lots of garbage left behind?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:04 am »

Trying to clean up my HTPC system since it has a small SSD boot drive that is filling up.  I have MC18 and MC19 installed, and when I try to uninstall MC18 I get an error that rundll32 has stopped responding.  Is there a manual uninstall method?

Also noticed (using a drive space analysis program) that I have ~4GB of stuff left out in the user folder from older versions of MC (old cache files and such).  Is that expected?  I would expect that when I use the uninstaller it would get rid of that old stuff.  What all other stuff does MC leave out there when you uninstall that must be manually removed?

The uninstall thing is a known bug (it's happened to me on every machine I've uninstalled 18 on).  The trick to getting it uninstalled is to start up mediacenter 18 and then uninstall it while it's still running (counterintuitive, I know).  

I also had several gigs (about 3) of old cache files scattered in a few directories even after a successful uninstall, which I manually deleted (I found them all through a storage sniffer program called TreeSize).  I think a full uninstall including all user settings would remove those things, but the uninstaller says not to do that if upgrading (which makes sense, you'd lose all your settings).  What I don't know is if it's safe to do a full uninstall after you've upgraded.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 08:38:06 am »

To uninstall MC18, run it once.  Then uninstall will work.

There was a problem if the active core was set to a different version.  Sorry.

I'm not aware of any files left behind if you select both delete options in the uninstall.  If you have files left behind, more details would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:10 am »

If you are upgrading, it specifically says not to check both options - then it apparently just leaves a 1-2GB of stuff out there forever in your user folder.  Is there anything else that get's left behind if you are upgrading from a previous version.  Is it safe to just delete the old stuff at any point after upgrading?

Vocalpoint

Re: Can't Uninstall
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

If you are upgrading, it specifically says not to check both options - then it apparently just leaves a 1-2GB of stuff out there forever in your user folder.  Is there anything else that get's left behind if you are upgrading from a previous version.  Is it safe to just delete the old stuff at any point after upgrading?

I think that "upgrading" line is wrong - I check both boxes when removing a version - for good.

IMPORTANT: Only uninstall the old one AFTER your new version is confirmed to be up and working. If you blow away an older version and check both boxes - you will vaporize your existing library files and the new version - when installed will go on in a plain vanilla verison (no former library etc). I usually wait a week after cutting over completely.

Also - the suggestion about "running MC once" and then uninstalling doesn't work (always). I have 5 machines that we just moved to v19 and on all of them - I fired up MC18 and then tried to uninstall and it did not work. The only thing that did work here was to reinstall MC18 over itself...and then uninstall. That worked perfectly.

I also have a comment of the reasons/choices presented when one does uninstall. If JRiver is doing anything meaningful by asking these questions to the user - why is there not a choice like "I love MC so much - I am upgrading to the new version" ?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up