INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort Inside Groups By not working as you drill down levels  (Read 2290 times)

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Sort Inside Groups By not working as you drill down levels
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:19 pm »

In all of my audio views, if I look at the initial parent view, Sort Inside Groups By works perfectly.  However, if I drill down into a child level, it appears to be set to some random default.  It shows as using the sort from the parent level, but it isn't actually using it.  Also, if I try to change it to something, no change actually occurs.

For example, I have it set to Custom: Description -> Disc # -> Track #.  If I look at Artists, it works correctly.  However, if I drill down into the Artists -> Album, it no longer holds the same sort order.  It is not associated with one particular category, but rather with the drill down.  For example, if I start viewing Genres, it works, but if I drill down to Artists level it no longer works, even though that same Artist sorted correctly if I started in Artists view. 

I have read quite a few old threads regarding issues with Sort Inside Groups By, and it sounds like the root of other people's problems is that it holds the sort order of the parent view.  However, this is not what I am seeing.  Can anyone else repeat this issue or chime in with their experience? 

Arindelle

Re: Sort Inside Groups By not working as you drill down levels
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:47 pm »

I'm not sure I'm following you, but you are referring to a "pane" type view I suppose?

Try using the customize view box and not the drop down menus ... in the box "Show categories in this order" try editing the dropdown categories one by one and if needed change to suit .. there are lots of options available.

If you have locked your view, overwrite it or make a copy and try the copy.

Does this resolve your issue?

connersw

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »

I'm referring to any view in Standard View.  I am not talking about the Categories, I am talking about the View Details as you drill down through the Categories. 

For example, I have a view set up called Genres.  In Customize View, the Categories are Genre -> Artist -> Album -> Description.   I have View Details checked to always show files.  If I look at the files on the bottom, I have the albums grouped by Artist - Album (Year).  Inside the groups I have the tracks sorted by Description -> Disc # -> Track #.  If I just click on the Genre view, everything is sorted correctly.  If I just click on Blues, everything is sorted correctly.  Now, if I double click on Blues to drill down to the Artist child category, all the albums sort correctly; however, the tracks within the groups (Albums) no longer sort correctly.  If I click on the arrow for All Files -> Sort Inside Groups By, it reads that I am still sorting Description -> Disc # -> Track #, but that is not how the files are always being displayed.  Lots of times they are just in a random order. 

If I am in the top parent view, I can change Sort Inside Group By to sort on anything, and I can watch the files change to sort in whatever order I requested.  However, once I am in one of the child levels, if I change the sort order, nothing happens; they stay in this random order (which I'm assuming is default).

I will try to get screen shots up later that may make it easier to explain.  I have renamed all the tags the views are using to make sure they are exactly the same, but it does not change anything.  I believe this may be a bug since there is another active thread with a similar issue.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

It is broken, or at least buggy.

When you drill down, the Default sort is based off of Name, which is an alias for the current category.   And the sort key header arrows indicate that Name is the primary sort, even when you see it is clearly not (because Name, as an alias, might be Artist, Disc # or whatever field you've drilled down into in the category tree, and that is the field being ASCIIbetically sorted).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

connersw

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:27:47 pm »

Thanks MrC.  I had a feeling it was buggy.  For a while, I was thinking it was using the Name alias for the current category to sort, but as you can see from the 3rd attachment, it doesn't seem to follow that either. 

The first two show the parent level sorted correctly and it's sorting structure.  The second two show the child level sorted incorrectly and it's sorting structure

connersw

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:19:05 am »

Solved by MrC:  Sort the File List using Customize View -> Settings -> Set rules for file display... -> Modify Results -> Sort By instead of using Sort Inside Groups By

Ref:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85012.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up