INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis and Adaptive Volume  (Read 1851 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Audio Analysis and Adaptive Volume
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:12:36 pm »

After reading a bit about these features, I have to be honest I'm still not quite clear on one item.  If I use these features, are my files on disk actually modified or does MC just analysis the music then record the results in a file that it will look at when playing?  Also does it do this for all music types and as well my blu ray movies?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio Analysis and Adaptive Volume
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:25:52 pm »

Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume work with audio and video.

They make no changes to audio inside the physical files.  Analysis results are (optionally) stored as a text field in the file's tag.  Any volume change is applied during playback, and can always be disabled.  In other words, there's nothing scary and no permanent changes are ever made to your audio or video.

This is a common question, so I wonder if there would be any way to make it more clear inside the program?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:14:26 pm »

Does this only impact music files or does it also analyze dvd and blu ray rips I have on disk?

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:53:26 am »

Regarding blu rays and dvds.  I have a dual sub system with a Denon 3808CI receiver and have the sub volume set to where I like it after running the Audyssey software.  I'm just curious if I have volume leveling and Adaptive Volume (Peak Level Normalize) enabled in MC 19, will this adjust the levels of my sub output or only adjust the lower volumes of the centre and side channels.   I just want to make sure that when I'm watching a movie with deep rumbling base, that it doesn't get mushed down.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:59:09 pm »

Anyone?

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »

Audio leveling should affect all channels equally, and works across all content.

You should not enable adaptive volume if you want consistent audio levels across all content. Adaptive volume is used to maximize volume level, rather than normalize it.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »

You know, I'm still not sure on your answer...So if I want the best sound from my blu ray movies are you saying I should leave Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume disabled?

If I have Volume Leveling enabled and analyze only my music tracks, will volume leveling also impact my movies on the fly or leave them alone?  If it only impacts the files I've analyzed then I'm fine with that.  The same goes for Adaptive Volume, will it only impact the files I've run the Analyzer on and work with Volume Leveling or will it impact my blu ray movies even though I didn't run the Analyzer on them?

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »

You should leave Volume Leveling enabled, but not Adaptive Volume, if you don't want to touch the volume control on your receiver.

Adaptive Volume makes audio playback louder. (volume level changes depending on the content)
Volume Leveling makes the volume at a consistent level across all media. (as much as possible)

Enabling both features will keep the volume even across the current playlist, but the volume level will change as the playlist does.

Volume Leveling may not be 100% effective with videos if you are downmixing (e.g. 5.1 audio output as stereo) or if the audio track has a lot of dynamic range, as it currently has a fixed headroom of 23dB.

If audio (music) has not been analyzed and Volume Leveling is enabled, the tracks will be played back at -10 dB.
If video has not been analyzed, volume level will not be changed. (0 dB)

If you plan on using either of these features, it's best to let MC analyze everything in your library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up