INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ModifyingArtist Name/Album Title using autoimport or other?  (Read 954 times)

audioaddict

• Recent member
ModifyingArtist Name/Album Title using autoimport or other?
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:51 pm »

Hi,

I have a lot of rips of albums that have the same artist and album title but have different sample rates or file formats.  I use Theater Mode to select music, usually by artist then by album.  However, MC (currently using 19) will put all the file formats and samples rates under the same album.  So, I have to listen to or skip through multiple copies of the same song. What 'd like to do is rename the ablums for each sample rate and file type to include that info (like Dark Side of the Moon (192/FLAC) or something more differentiating).  I'd like to be able to do this for current and future addditions to my library)Not sure if, or what features ofMC19 could handle this (like autoimport or scripting, ?).  Would someone please recommend an approach(s) that would:
1.  Allow me to rename an artist from "The Rolling Stones" to "Rolling Stones, The" (move or remove the beginning The so I can type the artist name when using Theater Mode and it will search to it).
2.  Rename the Album title to include sample rate and file type).

I'd like to try to avoid having to manually update metadata if possible.

Thank You in Advance,
Dan

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ModifyingArtist Name/Album Title using autoimport or other?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:32:28 am »

1.  Right click -> Library Tools -> Clean File Properties -> Check Move articles to end

2.  I would create a new field (Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Manage Library Fields... -> Add New Field) and use an expression to combine whatever fields you are looking to combine (Album, Sample Rate, File Type, Etc).   You can then either rename your Album with this new field, or just customize your views to use this new field instead of Album. 

Before you go through the process of renaming all your albums though, you may want to search and read some of the threads regarding albums with the same name.  It has been discussed many times, and many people prefer to keep the actual Album name but do other things to arrange their views better.  For example, if you have different file types (ie FLAC vs MP3), you could stack the tracks with whichever version you want on top (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks).  For me, since I have different versions of the same albums (CD, Vinyl Rip, SACD, etc), I use the Description field to comment what it is.  Then I add Description as the bottom child level in my views.  So in the manner you use, it would be Artist -> Album -> Description.  You could set up Auto Import so that certain folders are auto-tagged with whatever Description you want. 

audioaddict

• Recent member
Re: ModifyingArtist Name/Album Title using autoimport or other?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:45 pm »

Awesome!  Thanks for the great answers and alternatives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up