INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UI freezing in build 76 [Solution is to turn off spectrum analyzer  (Read 10861 times)

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.

Log File sent.  Locks up after playing on repeat.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Locks up after playing on repeat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:47:05 am »

Unfortunately there's not much useful in the log.  Is this a repeatable problem?  Can you provide more detail on the sequence of events?
Thanks.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:28 pm »

Open MC, press play and have on repeat. It plays for a bit then just locks.  I can exit MC and it will start again.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »

Open MC, press play and have on repeat. It plays for a bit then just locks.  I can exit MC and it will start again.

I tried to reproduce this on my system but was unable to do so.

So select a track, "Repeat Current Item", and then kaboom?
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:39:45 am »

It is locking up on my system, too, and not even when playing on repeat. I select an album to play and it plays fine, and I can pause or stop play (with keyboard media buttons, not mouse clicks); the interface is otherwise unresponsive to clicks anywhere. My only recourse is to quit the application, which I can do, and it plays fine on re-start (but the unresponsive interface recurs). This is happening on my home system, but not on my work system (both identical model iMacs running the latest version of Mavericks).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:10 am »

Are you using 19.0.76?

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:06 am »

I tried to reproduce this on my system but was unable to do so.

So select a track, "Repeat Current Item", and then kaboom?

The whole playlist. 

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:14:24 am »

My podcast:

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:16:05 am »

Yes, this only started on .76 for me as well.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:14:51 am »

The whole playlist. 
Are you saying that if you turn off "repeat", it never happens?

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:04 am »

It sounds like Media Center stops handling messages in the main message loop for some reason.  Can you guys post log files the next time it occurs?

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:28:48 am »

Yes, this only started on .76 for me as well.
Same here.

Are you saying that if you turn off "repeat", it never happens?
I'll try that tonight.  I don't know as I've only have it set to repeat. 

It sounds like Media Center stops handling messages in the main message loop for some reason.  Can you guys post log files the next time it occurs?
Sure.  That will be easy.   :(

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:58:26 am »

The whole playlist. 

Which of the Repeat options are you choosing?  "Repeat Playing Now", or "Repeat Current Item"?

I have been playing albums and playlist under the current build with "Repeat Playing Now" with nary an issue so far.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:11 pm »

This is what I'm using.  Oddly, it's working now.  I clicked around and while on the treadmill it's working perfectly.   ?  I promise there is/was an issue.

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »

This is what I'm using.  Oddly, it's working now.  I clicked around and while on the treadmill it's working perfectly.   ?  I promise there is/was an issue.

Yeah sure, sure...such a kidder are you ... ;)

p.s. using Repeat Now it has been working for me, I know, no comfort there, I believe you...

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 08:30:18 am »

Same here.
I'll try that tonight.  I don't know as I've only have it set to repeat.  
Sure.  That will be easy.   :(
Media Center always sends the previous as well as the current log, so after it hangs just restart Media Center and send the logs. Thanks!

lobo85

• World Citizen
UI freezing in build 76
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:07 am »

Experiencing crashes and freezing though when MC freezes it is only freezing visually everything under the hood is working and when I minimize it and maximize it again it refreshes everything in the window. But you have to keep doing this in order to see what you are doing. Here is are some logs. The Previous log is the one that crashed.

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center 19.0.76 -- Available Here
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »

Dear John,

Sorry for my English; I am a Hungarian user from Budapest...
I have MC19 Mac version, latest one.
Since I have downloaded the newest version, it froze when the display goes to screen saver or switches off. The music goes on, only the control and functions freeze.
I have attached my log file. Please advise.
Best Regards,

Zsolt
MacBook Pro 2016 13", Soekris dam 1021 DAC, Almarro A318B, PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium, Qattro mkII loudspeakers by Troels Gravesen

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:18:45 pm »

Experiencing crashes and freezing though when MC freezes it is only freezing visually everything under the hood is working and when I minimize it and maximize it again it refreshes everything in the window. But you have to keep doing this in order to see what you are doing. Here is are some logs. The Previous log is the one that crashed.
Please post a Mac crash report.  You can find old reports in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.  Here's a helpful link in case you have trouble finding the crash report (the "Library" folder is hidden on newer Mac OS's):
http://serato.com/scratchlive/support/6600/how-to-get-a-crash-log-in-mac-osx

JohnT

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »

I also checked my Diagnostic Report folder: there is no today log, only earlier and not related to MC.
/logs/CrashReporter is empty..
But meantime my MC19 froze again in the background, during I used Safari.
Music is goes on, control is dead.

Best Regard,
Zsolt
Can you give us some hints to try to reproduce the issue?  What view is being displayed in Media Center when you started using Safari and then went back to the frozen Media Center?  Is there a certain sequence of actions that always causes the problem?

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:14 pm »

I have no idea how to reproduce it on an other Mac...
The phenomenon is only question of time - as far as I observed now. After a while, after the 5-6-7 songs the MC get freeze. Independently from I am just listening or I use a different app e.g. Safari.
The frozen MC shows the last picture before gets frozen. And the music goes on...
The upper menus open up, I can select one of them, but no effect. And I also can stop the music, but not start again.
This problem only came on this latest version.

Is that possible for you to make a remote control on my mac. On Windows we have a TeamViewer.exe.

What else?

BR
Zsolt
MacBook Pro 2016 13", Soekris dam 1021 DAC, Almarro A318B, PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium, Qattro mkII loudspeakers by Troels Gravesen

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »

Continuing to happen for me, and I have repeat set to off. Happens at some point after I start playing tracks. The tracks play fine, and I can double-click on visible tracks and they will start playing. But the status of the track-playing up top does not change, and clicking on other views in the tree does not change the view I can see (although double-clicking, or hitting my keyboard's play button, suggests that internally the application has in fact moved to the view I've clicked on). It's just the display that's frozen. Other apps are running fine. Quitting MC fixes the problem until I play more tracks. Makes the app fairly useless for me at this point. Again, only started on .76, I've not seen this before. Log attached. Thanks.

aeo12

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 08:32:23 am »

I'm having the same freezing problem that others are describing.  Seems to happen whenever I'm using another application (internet browser, mail, text editor, whatever) while listening, then go back to change my music selection.  The music continues and I can shut it off, but the main screen is frozen so I can't select new music to play.

JohnT

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:01 am »

Here is the crash report at  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv3rvge8fglm6kp/Media%20Center%2019_2013-11-21-084214_Matthews-iMac.crash
Thanks, it's crashing when importing an SACD file.
I think we've found (and fixed) the problem by scanning the code, but if you have a decent internet connection and could Dropbox one of the SACD files that is causing a crash, we'd like to do more testing.  If you can't determine which file is causing a problem, you could send me a Media Center log file following the crash and I'll take a look.

JohnT

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

I'm having the same freezing problem that others are describing.  Seems to happen whenever I'm using another application (internet browser, mail, text editor, whatever) while listening, then go back to change my music selection.  The music continues and I can shut it off, but the main screen is frozen so I can't select new music to play.
Can you think of any other tips to help us reproduce this issue?  Here are some things I've tried:
1. open Media Center, start playing a track, leave the view on "Albums" under audio in the tree
2. start up some other apps (Chrome, Safari, Finder, System Preferences) and change their size, drag them over Media Center (obscuring it) and switch between them
3. click on Media Center in the taskbar and change to a different track
I haven't been able to get the UI to freeze up yet.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

Thanks, it's crashing when importing an SACD file.
I think we've found (and fixed) the problem by scanning the code, but if you have a decent internet connection and could Dropbox one of the SACD files that is causing a crash, we'd like to do more testing.  If you can't determine which file is causing a problem, you could send me a Media Center log file following the crash and I'll take a look.
That is weird because all my SACD files are already imported any ways that was just one crash my main problem has been the UI issue I described which I hoped the log files from MC I provided in my first post would help with. Will they?

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »

Frozen Display/Control Problem:
Now I made a trial: I started MC and I listened music. No other application was open. The same thing happened after a while. The display get freeze but during music was go on.
The control was only partially lost: after some aggressive double click some craizy action happened; one "random" song started, end so on.

So I think the frozen display/control is not related to an other paralell running app.
Please investigate the changes since the last version, because this problem comes together with the version 19.0.76.
My log is attached.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »

Here is another JRiver log in regards to the UI freezing problem. https://www.dropbox.com/s/897q8gd1sxhn78g/JRiver%20Log%202013-11-22%2011-32-16.zip Hope it helps.

JohnT

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:13 pm »

Here is another JRiver log in regards to the UI freezing problem. https://www.dropbox.com/s/897q8gd1sxhn78g/JRiver%20Log%202013-11-22%2011-32-16.zip Hope it helps.
Thanks.  The only thing unusual in the log files is a report of some 'bad' (non-importable) m4a files:
96545367: 202485760: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Blind Guardian/Nightfall In Middle Earth/11 Blind Guardian - Mies del Dolor.m4a

0376686: 253095936: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Pantera/Official Live - 101 Proof/01 Queensryche - I Remember Now.m4a
0376686: 253095936: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Pantera/Official Live - 101 Proof/02 Queensryche - Anarchy-X.m4a
0376686: 253095936: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Pantera/Official Live - 101 Proof/03 Queensryche - Revolution Calling.m4a
0376686: 253095936: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Pantera/Official Live - 101 Proof/04 Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime.m4a
0376686: 253095936: Import: AddFile: Skipping bad file: /Volumes/Music/Music/Pantera/Official Live - 101 Proof/05 Queensryche - Speak.m4a

Maybe these are related to the other freeze problem.  Please dropbox one of them if possible.

lobo85

• World Citizen

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 02:35:13 am »

I am sure there is no relation between the freeze and the music files. I have exactly the same amount of 1.3TB music files since this July.
I cannot stress enough that a problem starts only with the last version!

aeo12

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:46:39 am »

Can you think of any other tips to help us reproduce this issue?  Here are some things I've tried:
1. open Media Center, start playing a track, leave the view on "Albums" under audio in the tree
2. start up some other apps (Chrome, Safari, Finder, System Preferences) and change their size, drag them over Media Center (obscuring it) and switch between them
3. click on Media Center in the taskbar and change to a different track
I haven't been able to get the UI to freeze up yet.

This morning the UI froze when I switched back to it after spending 20-30 minutes on Chrome reading this morning's newspapers and checking some other sites.  If you are just trying to create the problem by quickly switching back and forth between applications, I don't think you'll succeed.  I've tried that to see if there was one specific app that's related to the problem, but it doesn't freeze unless I keep doing something else for a more extended period.  Also, last night, I was listening to music while doing nothing else on the computer.  The display sleep function kicked in and when the album was done I went back to select a different album and found the UI frozen.  As someone else mentioned, this freezing problem was not present in previous versions.  I'm doing to try minimizing Media Center before switching to use something else (or letting the display sleep function to begin) , and see what happens.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 07:52:38 am »

Does disabling the spectrum analyzers in the player at the top of the program (right-click > Show Spectrum Analyzer) change anything?

One of the recent changes was to enable them for Mac, so maybe it's somehow related.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 08:59:44 am »

I've merged all the posts about UI freezes with build 76 into this one.

Please try Matt's idea and report back:

Does disabling the spectrum analyzers in the player at the top of the program (right-click > Show Spectrum Analyzer) change anything?

One of the recent changes was to enable them for Mac, so maybe it's somehow related.

Thanks.
Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience in tracking down the problem.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: UI freezing in build 76
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 09:57:50 am »

I think the spectrum analyzer may be the problem with the freezing. No issues so far since turning it off, and that may be the difference between having problems at home vs at work (where I'd never turned the analyzer on).

aeo12

Re: UI freezing in build 76
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »

Turned off the spectrum analyzer and so far no more freezes.

Zsolt Andrasy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: UI freezing in build 76 [Solution is to turn off spectrum analyzer
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »

Yes, it is.

cavediver

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 07:01:01 am »

Mine froze up on me on Friday evening. Yesterday, I turned off the spectrum analyzer and MC 19 did not freeze.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 07:45:01 am »

I just sent two logs but then saw this thread has had some activity while I've been busy.  I created a new playlist with one track and have been testing that.  Works fine.  I just turned off the Spectrum Analyzer as posted by Matt and am playing the same playlist that locked up previously.  I'll report back.

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 08:27:52 am »

That was easy.  It works on repeat on my usual playlist with the Spectrum Analyzer off. 

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

10 hrs later and still working on repeat.  WooHoo!

My podcast:

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 11:40:00 am »

Ui freezing is gone. but now my artwork is not being updated with new albums in grid view. The artwork is there when you view it in the tags individually it's just that grid view thinks every piece of art work is separate so it says "Various Internal Images" when you try to view the whole album from the tags pane.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

10 hrs later and still working on repeat.  WooHoo!
Still going strong on repeat.   ;D

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:01 pm »

Just a note with the spectrum analyzer enabled, it is very hard to get the tool that displays input and output (audio path) to show up onscreen.

Turning of the spectrum analyzer the tool works right away.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 12:45:50 am »

I apologize because this is off topic but the screen shot in your post generated a couple of questions for me. The Status Bar at the top of the screen shows the two lines of information centered in the window and the text quite bold. In my Status Bar window the two rows of information are towards the bottom of the window so that the second line is somewhat cut off and my text is much finer and lighter than shown in your window. Is the position and boldness of the font something you edited and if so could you point me in a direction?
Thanks
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 01:54:35 pm »

The problem should be fixed in this build:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85569.0

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 06:33:07 pm »

I apologize because this is off topic but the screen shot in your post generated a couple of questions for me. The Status Bar at the top of the screen shows the two lines of information centered in the window and the text quite bold. In my Status Bar window the two rows of information are towards the bottom of the window so that the second line is somewhat cut off and my text is much finer and lighter than shown in your window. Is the position and boldness of the font something you edited and if so could you point me in a direction?
Thanks
Tools > Options > Tree & View (left pane)

My podcast:
Pages: [1]   Go Up