INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 stopped playing audio at native resolution, plays everthing at 44.1Khz  (Read 2153 times)

audioaddict

• Recent member

I've had this problem before and resolved it by uninstalling/reinstalling.

Now it's happening again.  The only changes I've made since the last uninstall was change the Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Play silence for hardware switching from None to 1 second (I was trying to eliminate some popping I get when the solution changes between tracks).   also added a couple of martlists.

I've changed the option setting back to None but everything is still playing at 44.1Khz.  Have I inadvertently toggled some other setting that would cause this?  It's doing this on all of my audio, smartlist or not.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

PS:  I may have posted a similar question recently but am unable to find it.  I apologize if this is a dupe.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

What type of hardware are you using?

If it's a DAC (not DLNA), double-check DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample rate.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audioaddict

• Recent member

My DAC is a Bryston BDA1.  I have a John Kenny MKIII between it and my laptop.

I've cheched the Output Format and all are set to No Change.

Are you using a non-exclusive output mode? E.g. DirectSound rather than WASAPI.

audioaddict

• Recent member

I am using DirectSound.  I believe this was so that I could use Kernel Streaming Mode, which is the recommened playback mode for my MKIII.  I would have set this in MC18.  The settings tranferred when I upgraded to MC19.

I just unstalled and reinstalled MC19.  Everyting is working fine now, again.  This leads me to lean towards it being  a setting issue.  Did any settings that were in MC18 go away in MC19?

BTW, I still have MC18 on the machine.  When MC19 stops switching resolutions properly, MC18 contues to work just fine.

And knowing that I can effectively "rollback" by uninstalling/reinstalling, I will do some experitmenting to see if I can narrow in on a cause.

audioaddict

• Recent member

UPDATE:  I've just spent a few hours making the same changes I did before when the problem ocurred, but making a backup of the library at each incremental step.

The problem started happening again as soon as I changed the Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Do Not Play Silence... checkbox.  This is not one of the options I choose before but it was the first and only change I made to any option under Tools -> Options.  So it seems that ANY change I make in Tools -> Options -> Audio is producing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Dan

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

UPDATE:  I've just spent a few hours making the same changes I did before when the problem ocurred, but making a backup of the library at each incremental step.

The problem started happening again as soon as I changed the Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Do Not Play Silence... checkbox.  This is not one of the options I choose before but it was the first and only change I made to any option under Tools -> Options.  So it seems that ANY change I make in Tools -> Options -> Audio is producing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Dan

My best guess is that using direct sound is causing this.  Contrary to the name, direct sound is not a direct connection, and is also not kernel streaming.  Direct sound feeds sound through the windows mixer, which typically resamples everything to one sample rate.  Maybe try a direct output device option (under options-->audio-->audio device) like WASAPI and see if that fixes it?

Yaamon

• Recent member

I am also having this problem.  It is happening on 2 machines on my network.  JRiver lists all inputs as "Input from 44.1kHz 2ch from source format MP3" and output as "44.1kHz 24 bit 2ch using WASAPI (direct connection)" with no changes.

This covers ALL music I try and play:  44.1kHz 16-bit CDs in WMA lossless and 96kHz 24-bit flac.

I found this because I am trying to use an HRT Music Streamer+ for the first time and found that all music, including 96kHz music, played with the 44.1kHz light on (played in 44.1kHz format).

So, I went back to my trusted Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 device and found the same thing is occurring.

I made sure the 'Output Format | Sample Rate" was set to "No Change" for sample rates up to 96kHz.

Note that I am using WASAPI with both devices, no DirectSound.

audioaddict

• Recent member

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue, but at the same time, a little happy that I'm not crazy.

Based on my experience and what you've said, this seems to point to a library setting issue.  Initially, I thought uninstalling/reinstalling was the only way to resolve the issue.  But it tuns out that as long as I have a backup of the library in it's last working state, I can restore it and get everyting working correctly again. 

Note: that the uninstall/reinstall wasautomatically importing the settings from MC18, which is still on my machine).  In fact hinking about it, I have inported the settings with each new version since MC14.  I don't really tweak the settings too much except forsettings related to starting Theater Mode automatically at MC startup, as well as kernel streaming mode and play from memory.

The only other "weirdness" that I have in the mix is that I have JLAY installed on the machine.  But I don't think that's an issue because the problem occurs when NOT using JPLAY for playback.

Still I think my next steps will be to:
1.  Uninstall JPLAY
2.  If JPLAY isn't the issue, I'm going to recreate my libary from scratch. (I'm wondering if some old setting that isne't applicable  any more is in there or there's ome coruption of some sort in the imported library.

It may take me a couple of days to get around to this but I will post the outcome as soon as I do.  In the meantime I'll responed to any replies to this post.

Thanks,
Dan

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen

This seems a little odd that you are you using direct sound expecting auto sample rate change. For automatic sample rate change, you need to be bypassing windows mixer, which is WASAPI, Kernel streaming, or ASIO if your device supports ASIO.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Trumpetguy

Re: MC19 stopped playing audio at native resolution, plays everthing at 44.1Khz
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:46 am »

What puzzles me is that you insist on using DirectSound, when all recommendations for best possible audio reproduction is WASAPI or ASIO. But it's none of my business, really, just puzzled.

audioaddict

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:21:04 am »

After seeing Baine78's reply, I thought I'd ask John Kenny (maker of my MKIII USB/SPDIF).  His recommendation is to use Kernel Streaming mode (which mistakenly I thought I was underneath the hood).  I found the correct output device and set it to KS model.  Viola!  Everything works again as expected.  I no longer have any issues with changing resolutions after tweaking any setting.

The confusion on my end is due in part to having switch USB devices and add-ins, as well as upgrading the same library thought multiple versios of MC.  I have audio devices named "Null Output", "JPLAY", and a few others that were added at some point but never removed when I stopped using that particular device.  I'm really not sure how DirectSound even got set in the first place.  I don't recall ever doing so. But everything worked just fine that way until I upgraded to MC19 and changed a setting.  I don't know why it worked in the first place.

I apologize for the confusion. I'll have to pay more attention to settings when upgrading in the future.

I know others have reported a similar issue so I hope the post helps someone else.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Dan

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 07:14:06 am »

Indeed .....

I was wondering why the light wasn't changing on the QuteHD ...... changed to WASAPI from direct sound and now it is responding the the different frequencies ..

Cheers.

Yaamon

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 04:52:30 am »

After reading the thread, I loaded a local library and found music played without alteration.  So, I knew the server was causing the issue.  After much futzing, I found settings that worked:

1.  Set the server output device to "Remote Audio (WASAPI)".  I have no idea if this step is necessary.
2.  Set ALL clients to "Don't Convert Audio" under Tools | Options | Client Options | Audio Conversion | Don't Convert Audio.  This has to be set on each client.

Once I did that, the MS II+ then registered 96k appropriately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up