INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look. It's a cloud.  (Read 4672 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Look. It's a cloud.
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:59:11 am »

The internet at large has not been replaced by "the cloud".
Cloud has been the symbol for the Internet for decades, and long before The Cloud replaced The Information Super Highway The Internet.

Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Cloud has been the symbol for the Internet for decades, and long before The Cloud replaced The Information Super Highway The Internet.
I disagree. "The Cloud" generally refers to web-based services, and copying Apple's iCloud icon just leads to confusion. Download icons are typically a downward facing arrow of some kind - even Apple use that.

jgreen

Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:17:54 pm »

Either a down arrow, or a series of tubes.  Cloud is coming to mean upload for online storage.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:20:07 pm »

The concept of "cloud" has been around in TCP/IP networking for ages, well before the Internet was a common word.  It simply meant, everything else outside a given network domain.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »

The concept of "cloud" has been around in TCP/IP networking for ages, well before the Internet was a common word.  It simply meant, everything else outside a given network domain.
That may be the case, but it's not what anyone thinks when they hear "The Cloud" or see Apple's iCloud icon today.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »

Speak for yourself.  I think of the Internet every time anyone says cloud anything.  And my eyes glaze over.

MrC

Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »

I agree with JimH here.  In my talks with folks, they don't get this "cloud" concept.  To them, stuff is stored somewhere, and they really can't distinguish how and where it is done.  Cloud is a marketing concept, and a very loose concept of external server-based storage.  IMAP-based mail servers always been "cloud".  Stuff is just out there somewhere.  Out in the clouds.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Look. It's a cloud.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »

Maybe Larry Ellison can clear it up for us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FacYAI6DY0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »

I agree with JimH here.  In my talks with folks, they don't get this "cloud" concept.  To them, stuff is stored somewhere, and they really can't distinguish how and where it is done.  Cloud is a marketing concept, and a very loose concept of external server-based storage.  IMAP-based mail servers always been "cloud".  Stuff is just out there somewhere.  Out in the clouds.
Generally it's referring to syncing services, or web-based (in-browser) apps though. Interestingly, the people that seem to have most difficulty with this concept are the engineers I speak with. To them the whole internet seems to be "the cloud" - I don't think they get the concept.

I've never seen anyone call downloading "pulling data from the cloud".

Examples of "The Cloud"
Syncing all my contacts and calendars automatically across all my devices.
Being able to edit documents in a browser and collaborate with people on the same document in real-time.
Remotely managing physical devices via a web browser by logging into a website. (rather than directly connecting to my home IP)

Not "The Cloud"
Visiting a website.
Downloading a file from a website.
Instant messaging. (though maybe it uses "the cloud" to sync messages across devices?)

I mean, it's a fuzzy concept and mostly marketing BS, but downloading something from YouTube or an RSS feed is not what I associate with "The Cloud".
I just don't see how using the iCloud icon (which represents contact/calendar/mail/bookmark/photo/document syncing/device location) belongs in Media Center to represent downloads.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »

Since a heck-of-a-lot of files you and I download, or websites we visit, ARE hosted via cloud services such as AWS or Akamai, you bet these actions are associated with Cloud.

Apple uses a Cloud icon with a down arrow to indicate Download (from the cloud/Internet).

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 06:42:26 pm »

Apple uses a Cloud icon with a down arrow to indicate Download (from the cloud/Internet).
That's used when downloading from your "purchases in the cloud" or iTunes Match library. (they can also be streamed)
They use a regular download icon for things like podcasts.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:13:57 pm »

I don't feel too strongly either way, but I feel that "the cloud" currently signifies 'online storage' one can access from multiple places.

If the icon is to represent 'downloading' something, a picture of a cloud is not the most appropriate image, as it currently represents 'online storage' much more than downloading something, which may or may not be stored in "the cloud", whatever that term might have meant historically.

New icons to reflect current ideas.
pretend this is something funny

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:03 pm »

I don't feel too strongly either way, but I feel that "the cloud" currently signifies 'online storage' one can access from multiple places.

If the icon is to represent 'downloading' something, a picture of a cloud is not the most appropriate image, as it currently represents 'online storage' much more than downloading something, which may or may not be stored in "the cloud", whatever that term might have meant historically.

New icons to reflect current ideas.

I have to agree here. Before Dropbox, I'd never heard of "the cloud". I see that symbol, and I think of distributedly stored backups. The "downloading from the cloud" icon from Apple really represents retrieving copies of your own data, for example after reformatting your iPhone etc. I suspect anyone who was born after Reagan was inaugurated, or got into 'computer technology' after around Y2K thinks the same way.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 01:34:05 am »

I glaze over too. For me, 'Cloud' is online storage accessible from anywhere, on any device.

I also 'get' that your stuff has to actually be on a drive somewhere, in someone's care, and I don't like that so much. I have a total of, probably, over 100 Gb of free cloud storage available, but don't use it. 13 years ago, I faffed about with the 'build your own website' stuff available to me as a lineone.net customer...

I no longer have the url, but I know it's still there. Heck, Despite not being a customer for more than 12 years, and Lineone changing hands several times, currently 'Talk Talk', I still use my lineone.net email address... Once it's out there, it's out there and you have no control.

In my head, I see a cloud icon and never go near it.

-marko

rjm

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 01:59:41 am »

In my head, I see a cloud icon and never go near it.
Me too.

A cloud means someone is trying to make me dependent on them in the hope of extracting some wealth some day from me.

I prefer to be independent and resilient.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »

Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening, with some widely scattered light towards morning. -- George Carlin
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MrC

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »

I'm still trying to figure out "Clouds in my coffee...".

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:26 pm »

It's clear here in the Seattle area... but cold..
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 11:13:27 am »

Hello, I'd love to jump in here and offer a few thoughts.

With media files, cloud = media stored somewhere else...the internet, server farms, JRiver's Performer. It's the future. I think there is some danger in not seeing the forest for the trees (which might translate across domains to "not seeing the cloud for the files"?)

We, the JRiver Users/Interact Galactic Citizens, don't use the cloud much because we have great personal media collections on local storage and like it that way, for good reasons - content organization, top notch sound/video quality, security, etc.

However, everybody else I know uses the cloud for media now. Most people don't want to deal with file management, too much hassle - storage cost, backup, format, interface, etc.

I think this is another sea change in media format. Subscription streaming is the future of media consumption, and the people left managing media files are going to be a small minority of home media consumers.

Sorry for all the metaphors. My head is cloudy this morning.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »

I don't disagree, but would just like to point out that i think the original post/idea was whether or not to use the cloud icon to represent "download" something.  I think this is a mistake.  Your points are valid and correct, but it's a different concept/idea than downloading a file to your computer.  it's 'storage' in some form, not 'moving a file' like a download is.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up