INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC/JRiver to prepro: connectivity options when using external DRC  (Read 1591 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I am considering moving to a primarily HTPC setup for stereo and multichannel use. It's been about 6yrs since I ran an HTPC so I'm thoroughly out of the loop as to how to optimally configure this stuff. My setup is

HTPC -> Marantz AV 7005 -> power amps -> 5.1 sub/sat setup (which is used as 2.1 for stereo listening)

I am thinking of using acourate for correction which, AIUI, will deal with the crossover at convolution time. Things get a bit hazy at this point as to exactly how this setup will work, I've tried to search for basic connectivity/prepro config details but the search terms are broad enough that the hits don't really narrow it down so I would appreciate some guidance here. I can't experiment as I haven't actually built my new PC yet.

On the JRiver side, the mixing wiki page (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Mixing) & the underlying interact thread explains a lot about how jriver will work. I think this means

- I should be using option 2 (2. If you want JRiver to upmix and handle speaker setup and bass management)
- I will be sending LPCM over HDMI to the processor
- the processor should be in a direct mode (I believe marantz call this source direct) thereby effectively using the prepro as a DAC to route the signal to the amps

Is this correct for multichannel?

What about stereo use? I still want the sub active & currently have the option of spdif output instead of HDMI (which I believe should be preferable?).

My 2nd Q concerns quality, what are the obvious routes to improving SQ in such a setup? I can't realistically ditch the prepro as I have an external source (cable) so is that going to boil down to a multichannel DAC into the analogue inputs on the prepro?

Thanks
Matt

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: HTPC/JRiver to prepro: connectivity options when using external DRC
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »

- I should be using option 2 (2. If you want JRiver to upmix and handle speaker setup and bass management)
- I will be sending LPCM over HDMI to the processor
- the processor should be in a direct mode (I believe marantz call this source direct) thereby effectively using the prepro as a DAC to route the signal to the amps

Is this correct for multichannel?
Yes, this is correct.

What about stereo use? I still want the sub active & currently have the option of spdif output instead of HDMI (which I believe should be preferable?).
You should still use HDMI and 5.1 output so you can have the Acourate filter loaded in JRiver's convolution engine. Then the mains and sub will be sent out on channels 1,2, and 4 so they are routed properly through the 7005 to your setup .

My 2nd Q concerns quality, what are the obvious routes to improving SQ in such a setup? I can't realistically ditch the prepro as I have an external source (cable) so is that going to boil down to a multichannel DAC into the analogue inputs on the prepro?
I think the 7005 will still perform an A/D conversion on the analogue inputs for volume control so having a multichannel DAC won't help.

If you do go with a multichannel DAC, you can use the HDHomerun Prime with JRiver for your cable. I'm not sure though if it works with all premium channels (depending on provider). From a post earlier today at AVS forum:

Sorry, but that's a wrong assumption. My HTPC has a Blu-ray optical reader and gets its HD over Ethernet from a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime external tuner for three channels of Verizon FIOS HD QAM card. That provides local and premium channels and PPV based on what I subscribe too. That covers TV, so I don't need any Satellite source anyway. There are internal tuners too, like the Ceton four channel cards. I happen to like the price, easy setup, portability, and networked nature of the HomeRun and my HTPC runs cooler and has more room inside. An HTPC obviously does games and provides all the multimedia solutions and connectivity one could want. I don't have any HDMI input at all, just Ethernet and HDMI 1.4 output. It also handles my Logitec remote administration and management of my Synology NAS device via browser. With JRiver and my media on the NAS, it supports playback of SACD and other audio, photos, home video, DVDs, BDs, ISOs, and just about anything else I throw at it. As much or more than any game console can too. It could also handle 4K if I bought a newer video card instead of using the Intel 4000HD chipset on the MB which only supports 1080p60.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: HTPC/JRiver to prepro: connectivity options when using external DRC
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

OK thanks, that's v helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up