INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver airplay  (Read 9709 times)

RonJeffries

• Recent member
jriver airplay
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:38:01 am »

Quick questions (I hope):

Ordered some nice Airplay speakers. Haven't got them, have no other Airplay devices. So ...

1. Should I expect no airplay settings to show up in Media Center until I connect the speakers? (Hope so, cause I have not found any Airplay anywhere.)

2. Please point me in docs or here to Airplay for Dummies kind of info on how to tell Media Center to go to the Airplay, once I have them connected.

Thanks!

Sheugel

• World Citizen
Re: jriver airplay
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:49:42 am »

I don't think JRiver supports Airplay as it is proprietary software from Apple. What you can do in order to be able to stream JRiver audio to your speakers is use Airfoil.

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 06:00:49 am »

I'll check that out. Or convert everything to iTunes (arrgh), but there are threads on here saying that Airplay works ... I like this product but it confuses me ...

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »

Airplay totally works... you select it as your audio output in options->audio. 

Get ready to enjoy your new speakers!  Wireless audio is the best (except for wired, but who wants to run wires?).

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:09 pm »

but who wants to run wires?

Those of us that dont want everything resampled to 16/48.  Those of us that like HiRes support.  Those who care about high fidelity.

just to name a few....

-Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:46:41 am »

Those of us that dont want everything resampled to 16/48.  Those of us that like HiRes support.  Those who care about high fidelity.
AirPlay to an AppleTV or (I think) the new AppleTV-style AirPort Express devices is 16/48, but the original "power brick" AirPort Express devices output 16/44.

It's not high res audio, but it is at least bit-perfect CD playback.

I really don't understand Apple's motivations with the new AirPort Express design though; the old one was a much neater unit. All it really needed was HomePlug support.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »

Oh don't get me wrong - the only thing bad about wires is the wires.  In every other way they're better than wireless.

Sound quality aside (I am happy with the bit-perfect streaming and optical out that airplay gives me) I find wireless flakes out once in a while, with either dlna or airplay. 

I wired up our last house - through the walls and with volume control knobs in each room - and it never flaked out - never, ever, not even once over the five years we lived there.  I just don't feel like wiring up another house just yet. 

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »

just to sum up my decision, i decided not to get the airplays with built-in DAC (from Kef), because I'd have no volume control except at the speaker location. So I've cancelled the Kefs and have some nice wired speakers that should arrive tomorrow. Then I'll run wires under the floor to the speaker location. Then, assuming I like the result, maybe one day I'll upgrade to better than nice.

I'm kind of sorry not to get to try the wireless ones but I wanted volume control.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up