INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winamp officially dead, now what?  (Read 1991 times)

krupted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Winamp officially dead, now what?
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »

Congrats on survival of fittest, jr!

I have a worry though.  Ever since I bought my first copy of media center, I think like version 8 or earlier, I have wanted the Milkdrop Visualization.

Since then, I have been using winamp with the line-in audio plugin.  This way I can use JR media center for music, while winamp handles the viz.

Well, winamp is going bye bye... and I dont like using unsupported software...

so... I guess I am saying, if I upgrade my license can I get full Milkdrop support ? :D

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Winamp officially dead, now what?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:21:29 pm »

Microsoft is buying Winamp and Shoutcast and supposedly will be keeping them going...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »

Microsoft is buying Winamp and Shoutcast and supposedly will be keeping them going...
At this point, that's a rumor.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/source-microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-shoutcast-and-winamp-from-aol/

connersw

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:22 am »

Have a look here :)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82551.0

I wouldn't call this full Milkdrop support.  This is a work around with lots of opportunities to really screw up your OS (reg edits, reverting to prior versions of DirectX, etc).  One of the advantages of MC, particularly Red October video support, is that you shouldn't have to mess with any of that; video just plays.  It would be nice if it was the same for Milkdrop.  Unfortunately, I've read old threads where it was explicitly stated that there were no plans to support Milkdrop.  I'm still hopeful that that will someday change.  It seems to be requested often. 

krupted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

they have to support milkdrop.  i will go to programming school and create a media center competitor that does everything jr does but also has milkdrop support.   everyone will love me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:06:06 pm »

OK.  We give in.

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:34:37 am »

OK.  We give in.

Huzzah! :D

Seriously, though: If JRiver wants to attract more Winamp users, you guys really need to improve Media Center's visualization options. Decent visualization is just about the only major feature theat is missing from MC. The sheer variety and quality of cool visualizations is staggering, and is one of the reasons Winamp has kept going over the years, despite AOL's best efforts to ruin it. Have you ever LOOKED at how many visualizations are available on Winamp.com's catalog (even if you only count standalone ones like Geiss or Milkdrop, and not AVS presets, it's still in the hundreds... add in AVS and it jumps into the thousands), or how many hundreds of thousands of times some of them have been downloaded?

Think about that... hundreds of thousands of downloads of visualizations. Think about how many copies of Winamp itself that represents. Think about how many sales of MC you could make to these users, if only you supported their favorite visualization styles, or at least, something even approximating their favorite styles (which, sadly, none of the visualizations bundled with MC really do). I can tell you, a lot of Winamp users simply aren't willing to give up their visualizations to switch to MC (the Winamp software itself will continue to function, after all).

At the very least, I wish JRiver would put together some official documentation for Visualization Studio. I've done a search here on the forums, and all I see is question after question after question along the lines of "how do I use Visualization Studio", with no response from anyone at JRiver. Visualization Studio's capabilities may need to be expanded, judging by the bland look (when compared to what is available with Winamp's AVS) of the bundled presets. And, I'd like to see a bunch of additional presets added to the MC installer, so there's at least a little more variety "out-of-the-box".

You guys at JRiver have spent so much time and effort making MC into the ultimate media player and manager, so why can't we have that AND a good variety of visualizations? We want it all!!! ;D

Aimhere
Pages: [1]   Go Up