INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server pauses between tracks thru Internet  (Read 1360 times)

Gork

• Recent member
Library server pauses between tracks thru Internet
« on: November 24, 2013, 01:32:02 pm »

v18.0.212

Library and Media Server at home on a Win8.1-64 machine, client at Mom's on a WinXP-32 laptop connected via wifi, music collection is WAV.  Both connections through the Internet seem to be able to handle streaming WAV even if I tell MC to not convert the audio.  I currently have the setting to convert to MP3 when necessary, however.

MC pauses for 20-30 seconds between tracks while it is playing through the "playing now" list.  During this time MC completely freezes.  However, if I manually select another song on the list it's practically instantaneous.  In case it's helpful information, I get the same "freeze" when I first start playing a song as well, though it's not usually as long.  (I kind of figured at least this much was normal.)

I've tried maximizing pre-buffering, playing files from memory instead of disk, do not (and do) play silence and various switch tracks settings.

Is there a caching setting, or some other setting I'm missing which will fix this problem?  It works perfectly if I'm connecting to the library server with the same laptop from my own network instead of over the Internet.

I'm not sure if this is related, but MC on my client machine will sometimes completely crash at the end of a song as well.  "MC has encountered a problem and needs to close" reported by Windows.

Gork

• Recent member
Re: Library server pauses between tracks thru Internet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:11:57 am »

Has anyone had similar or differing results?  This makes using the library server through the Internet nearly unusable.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:37:16 am »

Sorry but I'm not sure.

I'm able to play APE files from my home server (which has a 1Mbit connection) at work nicely.  The user interface never freezes.

Maybe you could test MC19 on both sides?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gork

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:28:57 pm »

Thanks.  Have you only tried this with v19.x or was it working fine for you on v18.x as well?
Pages: [1]   Go Up