INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 192kHz via USB from Mac  (Read 3785 times)

fstanke

192kHz via USB from Mac
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »

I have heard that some SW players for the Mac support sending 192kHz through USB (to a DAC), even though the Mac does not support 192 through the "headphone" TOSlink.  Will Media Player send a 192 FLAC file to through the Mac's USB at 192 to a DAC?

freddie40

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: 192kHz via USB from Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:32 pm »

I send 192 via USB to my QB9.  Only Toslink is limited to 96.

Dave
Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini  /  Mountain Lion -> JRiver -> Ayre QB9 -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent interconnects & Wire |  Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

fstanke

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »

Thanks!  How?  I am new to Media Center, and completely lost.  (Maybe just knowing it can be done will help me get there.)

fstanke

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:22 pm »

OK, with MC19 on my MacBook Pro I did Tools/Audio Device/Options/Bryston BDA-2 (which is the unit I had connected to the MacBook).  The Bryston showed green on USB1 192K0 Lock USB6: it looked like it was getting a valid signal, but nothing came out of the audio jacks.  Why?  Also, I tried both "Volume disabled" and Volume at max in MC.  Why did I not get sound?

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:40 pm »

How did you have the Bryston connected to the mac?

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:00:54 am »

I have an Emotiva DC-1 both at home and in my work rig, it happily does 192/24 and has a great headphone output.  I find it to be a brilliant little DAC. I love the knob for volume control.  It has native Mac playback support at 192.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/stealth-dc-2

If you're willing to wait a little longer, this Geek Pulse looks very promising.

http://igg.me/at/geekpulseaudio/x/5211485

I've got the Geek Pulse X (balanced model) ordered.

I just have JRiver configured to not change sampling rates for 192 or less.

One thing that looks odd, I don't think that USB Audio 1 can do 192khz.

fstanke

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:00:06 pm »

Maybe I do not understand the question.  I used an old USB printer cable we had around.  It looks sort of like the one here: http://www.firefold.com/15ft-usb-cable-ab-ivory?gclid=CInF9fHYhrsCFTDhQgodWCUABw.

Hmm.  My trial on MC ran out, but it looks like I can get an extension.  If I get this working, I'll happily purchase MC.

fstanke

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »

JRiver extended my trial period.  Thanks very much.

I have the latest version of MC19 on my MacBook Pro and a Bryston BDA-2 connected with a generic USB printer cable. 

In MC I set

Player/Playback Options/Audio/Audio device/options/Bryston USB 2.0 Audio Out [Core Audio]

Player/Playback Options/Audio/Settings/DSP and Audio Format/Sample Rate/Input Output/192kHz 192kHz

Playing a 192 FLAC, the BDA-2 shows green on USB1, 192K0, Lock, and USB6.  But nothing comes out of the (analog) audio jacks. Why?   

If I switch to Opto-2 with a TOSlink cable connecting the Mac and DAC and select
Player/Playback Options/Audio/Audio device/options/Core Audio, I get sound with BDA-2 showing green on OPTO-2, 96K0, and Lock; and analog audio comes out.  This proves that I have the BDA-2 connected properly to the rest of the system.  So this issue is somewhere with the Mac and DAC or their connection.

Can you tell me what I might try to get 192/192 playing through the DAC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up