INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freezing and Stuttering using Xonar STX Card  (Read 1615 times)

tgurley

Freezing and Stuttering using Xonar STX Card
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »

After anywhere from 15 - 20 minutes of FLAC file playback, I get what sound like a stuck groove on a record or a stuck place on a CD - it is a 120 cycle or so stutter or vibration that is amplified and louder than what music passage is being played.

Asus Xonar STX card with ASIO driver (I have ASIO4All available in my pull down, similar experience)
i7 3770 processor
16 GB of memory

Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Freezing and Stuttering using Xonar STX Card
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »

After anywhere from 15 - 20 minutes of FLAC file playback, I get what sound like a stuck groove on a record or a stuck place on a CD - it is a 120 cycle or so stutter or vibration that is amplified and louder than what music passage is being played.

Asus Xonar STX card with ASIO driver (I have ASIO4All available in my pull down, similar experience)
i7 3770 processor
16 GB of memory

Thanks

You might try adjusting your ASIO buffer settings, that may help.

I have an Asus Essence ST (similar to the STX), and I had similar problems until I started using the third party drivers (the Unified Xonar drivers): http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
The Asus control panel in particular seems to introduce mysterious latency spikes which could manifest as stuttering.

I'd suggest trying different ASIO buffer settings first, and if that doesn't work trying the Unified drivers with the low-latency option checked (to bypass the Asus control panel).

tgurley

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:31:58 pm »

I have re-installed the Unified Drivers - how do I know I have selected the right one?
In the J River pull down two choices Asus ASIO or ASIO4all v.2

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »

I have re-installed the Unified Drivers - how do I know I have selected the right one?
In the J River pull down two choices Asus ASIO or ASIO4all v.2

You say you "re-installed" the unified drivers?  Were you using them before?

Try the one that isn't ASIO4Alll; ASIO4All isn't a native ASIO driver, it's asoftware wrapper around a kernel streaming interface.  So, probably "Asus Asio."
Pages: [1]   Go Up