INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PlayStation 4 input into JRiver  (Read 6522 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
PlayStation 4 input into JRiver
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:20:33 am »

I'm helping a friend with the audio portion of his new home theater. It will be completely run with an HTPC and have 15 channels of output. In addition to the 7 regular speakers, there are two extra side surrounds, two subwoofers, and 4 midbass modules. JRiver will be handling all routing and EQ.

A Hauppauge Colossus will be used for DirectTV input into JRiver.

This morning he asked me how he could integrate a PS4. A PS4 has HDCP HDMI output plus optical output. I'm not sure if the optical is stereo only or encoded to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Anyone have suggestions for integrating the PS4 into the HTPC/JRiver?

Sparks67

• World Citizen
Re: PlayStation 4 input into JRiver
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »

I'm helping a friend with the audio portion of his new home theater. It will be completely run with an HTPC and have 15 channels of output. In addition to the 7 regular speakers, there are two extra side surrounds, two subwoofers, and 4 midbass modules. JRiver will be handling all routing and EQ.

A Hauppauge Colossus will be used for DirectTV input into JRiver.

This morning he asked me how he could integrate a PS4. A PS4 has HDCP HDMI output plus optical output. I'm not sure if the optical is stereo only or encoded to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Anyone have suggestions for integrating the PS4 into the HTPC/JRiver?

I have Control4 (Home automation) that controls my Denon AVR-5308 Receiver, and IP driver runs the PS3, so I can switch to HTPC for JRiver.  There is a JRiver driver for control4, but i haven't tested it yet.   To play games on the PS4, then it needs to be through HDMI.  Here is the PS4 faq http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect1  The FAQ states that PS4 has no DLNA support.   I don't recall that JRiver has developed any IP drivers to control other devices. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/playstation-4-audio-game-install-details/

For starters, the PS4 can't stream media from your home network like its predecessor could. Sony's next-gen console also won't play MP3s or CDs, and the only way of using your own background music in-game is via Sony's Music Unlimited service.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »

I am assuming he just wants to route his PS4 through JRiver to get the audio decoding, etc. 

I know JRiver does not officially support two Collossus in one PC, but I think this is due to the IR blaster limitation.  If so, you could use a second Collossus to bring the HDMI into the PC.  I am assuming that the PS4 doesn't have encrypted output. 

I have setup a VCR connected to an analog input and set the analog input as a 'channel' called VCR.  Then I could 'tune' to VCR and record from it, etc.  I haven't used this in a while, but it was working on MC18.  You could try something like this with the existing Collossus and if it works buy a second Collossus.

Just some thoughts.

Alex

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:13:14 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. The PS4 has HDCP so the HDMI content is protected and it won't work with the Colossus.

I suggested that the friend just use an HTPC for gaming. I think that might be the route he will go if his son wants to game.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:50 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. The PS4 has HDCP so the HDMI content is protected and it won't work with the Colossus.

I suggested that the friend just use an HTPC for gaming. I think that might be the route he will go if his son wants to game.

I think that might be easier solution at this point.  There is a new PC game that is in alpha, that is supposed to be released in Q4 2014 called Star Citizen.  This pc game has a "rendered 100% in-engine in real time at 4k resolution".  I probably suggest waiting till Nvidia releases Maxwell for the video card, because it should have HDMI 2.0. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up